In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

43 winchester

moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I know a lot of you guys hate questions based on the "blue book" but it's a great resource for those of use with less experience. all that being said, I found a model 43, that is scoped, and the book says "subtract 60% if non-factory drilled and tapped(early models)."How does one tell if it's a factory job or not, ser #?. Can someone define "early models"?

Comments

• jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help you with the price. I bought a rifle rather similar to yours a little over a year ago, but I can't remember what I paid for it. It was a 22 Hornet. I own a number of rifles and I like the model 43 a lot. It was drilled and tapped and the bolt handle was turned down. I would not have bought it if that were not the case.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is the serial number that determines if it is an "early model" or a late model. For the Model 43, it is only the last several thousand serial numbers they were factory drilled & tapped for a scope as early as late 1951. I do not know what the serial number range would be for late 1951.
  • MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert ;
    wasn't after the 38,000 range of serial numbers? I have found that to be a safe assumption. Yes/No?

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Madman
    Bert ;
    wasn't after the 38,000 range of serial numbers? I have found that to be a safe assumption. Yes/No?

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing

Hello Paul,

I do not know what the annual production numbers were for the Model 43, but being that only approximately 63,000 of them were made during a 9-year production run, I suspect you could be correct. I just looked at my January 2, 1952 catalog, and it states...

"Receiver Drilled and tapped for Lyman 57A receiver sight and several popular scope mounts."

That would make one tend to believe that at least 50% of the production run was factory drilled & tapped.