In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win Model 1873 ?

1bamashooter1bamashooter Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to get a estimated value of this rifle, it is part of a estate and some of the info I am finding does not match up, like the letter from the museum stated it is .44cal but the rifle is a .38 cal. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I can take more pics if needed.

Thanks,

Ron

DSCN2259-1.jpg

DSCN2260-1.jpg

DSCN2253.jpg

DSCN2254.jpg

DSCN2255.jpg

DSCN2256-1.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2249.jpg

DSCN2250.jpg

DSCN2251.jpg

DSCN2252.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Ron,

Well, I can see a few glaring problems with the rifle you have inquired about.

First, the magazine tube has either been shortened, or the barrel is longer than 24-inches. How long is the barrel?

Second, the stocks have been sanded and refinished.

Third, the factory letter clearly states that it originally was a 44 W.C.F., but the barrel is not.

Fourth, the side plate screw is not original.

In summary, it appears that it has been post-factory altered, and as such, it is not a desirable collectors gun.
  • Options
    1bamashooter1bamashooter Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Hello Ron,

First, the magazine tube has either been shortened, or the barrel is longer than 24-inches. How long is the barrel?

Third, the factory letter clearly states that it originally was a 44 W.C.F., but the barrel is not.

In summary, it appears that it has been post-factory altered, and as such, it is not a desirable collectors gun.

Thank you for your reply, this Dr I am trying to sell this thing for thinks its worth around $4000 I did not think it was and you just confirmed it.

thanks
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1bamashooter
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Hello Ron,

Thank you for your reply, this Dr I am trying to sell this thing for thinks its worth around $4000 I did not think it was and you just confirmed it.

thanks

You are quite welcome.

On most days, that rifle is only worth about $1000.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert's assessment is pretty much right on!

Based on your photos my observations are that there are no wrench marks on the barrel, both the barrel and cartridge lifter are marked 38, the metal all seems to match, neither the barrel or receiver are marked with the proof mark, and the barrel address has the lines before and after the bottom address line as a barrel of the vintage of this Model 73 probably should.

Based on these observations I would probably contact the Cody Museum again and ask them to verify the contents of the letter just to make sure. I've had one Winchester that they misclassified and upon asking them to check again they found their mistake and corrected the letter, but that was many years ago.

That wouldn't change Bert's basic assessment, but it would be more desirable if the letter matched the gun. Just a suggestion.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!