In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Odd Millennium Pro Primer Strike - Taurus

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Just took my brand new Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 in .45 ACP caliber to the range. Shot about 50 rounds of the cheap Wal-Mart Winchester 100 round bulk FMJ white box. Firearm functioned smoothly and perfectly. It did shoot little high and to the left, but I can clearly see that the rear site needs adjusting. (Darn, forgot to bring tools to range)

However, I do have one worry. I examined the spent cases and the hammer strike on the primer looks odd to me. The small round strike you expect to see was there and it was centered perfectly and appeared to be about right. But there was an indentation coming from that round strike making the entire impact look kinda like one of those old time key holes. You know, the old "skeleton keys" I believe they were called. Another way to describe it is a period with a short line coming from that period towards the edge of the primer. (Where the primer and primer pocket/case meet)

Is this something new and normal or should I ship it back to Taurus for some of their customer wait service?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at the firing pin and see what it is shaped like. Glocks don't have a round stricker, They leave a oblong looking hit on the primer.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like the primer is being "dragged" across the firing pin or vice/versa. Maybe crud up the chamber a little and see if this retards the slide long enough to keep from leaving that scrape.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a 24/7 in 40 cal. , it would leave a mark as if the shell were being hit at a slight angle insead of straight on,. the shell that came with it new from the factory also had the odd primer strike, I never had any trouble with it put maybe 5000 rounds through it.