In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sleeve shotgun

tiny2437tiny2437 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm wanting to know what would be the smallest diameter sleeve I could put in a 12 ga with out blowing the barrel up. If I was going to shoot 2 3/4 #1 buckshot. And could I use a 5 stage wadstopper in it to.

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what you are asking. A sleeve is usually what you call a barrel insert, allowing you to shoot modern ammo in a damascus barrel, or .410 in a 12. A CHOKE is a restriction at the muzzle to squeeze down a shot column, to keep fine shot in a tighter pattern. You can shoot buck thru a full choke, but may not have best accuracy. Can you explain a bit more?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Tiny 2437 The only 2 Sleeves I know of are completely different in function as 11br6 states barrel sleeves / tubes are used in some skeet guns to allow smaller gauge shells to be fired in a 12gauge gun 16 /20/ 28/4-10 other sleeves are made for TURKEY SHOOT guns these are purpose built to shoot VERY SMALL shot at paper targets not to turkey hunt . The second type sleeve IS NOT designed for buck shot. . If you are in an area that you can only shoot BUCK SHOT to deer hunt and you want a shot gun to shoot a Very small pattern. If you go too tight in the choke you end up with a bigger group because the buck shot gets deformed. on the trip down the barrel .The best way is to try different brands of buck shot in your gun on paper target board.
  • Options
    tiny2437tiny2437 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    See, I have two guns that are already sleeved to shoot in outlawed turkey shoots, there both are choked down to .642 diameter with a 5 stage wad stopper in them. This something that I wouldn't buckshot in. What I wanted to know is whats the smallest diameter choke( thousandth of a inch) that I can shoot #1 buck in. See I got this old savage single barrel shot gun and someone that own it before me had sawed the barrel off to 25 inchs and it has no choke in what so ever and I want to fix it up to shoot crows,varmints and maybe a deer. Something that I want to put behind the seat of my truck and keep it here. I want to put a sleeve in it because it looks more natural than a screw-in-choke and it will hold a better pattern too. See I want to be able to shoot fine shot in it and hold a tight pattern and shoot #1 buck with out blowing the barrel up.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I understand now what you want to do and must defer to someone that has tried this if there is someone that has done it. Different opinions is a good thing and Mine would be to install screw in choke tube that are flush to the end of the barrel the reason this would be my choice is then you could have a tight "small diameter tube " it will shoot small size shot with a tight pattern but the larger the shot the larger the bore needs to be to get a good pattern I bet a CYLINDER or Inproved Cyl. bore will shoot #1 buck as good as any other Choke. and better then full choke. Just my $.02