In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10/22 w/can ??? Need help

JesseLeeJesseLee Member Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have been looking at putting a can on my 10/22. however, I have yet to figure out how it should be done. My question is this. do I need to have the front site removed and the barrel threaded or is there another way to have it done without removeing the site. Any information would be great and helpful.

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have not seen a way to do it without removing the front site. That does not mean there is not a way.

You could do something like this, dont mind the crap hanging off the front (spare parts)

DSC05944.jpg

There are a few places that sell pre-threaded barrels but I am not sure if they have sites on them. I am not sure who you are going to have do the threading or what they are going to charge but that maybe a cheeper route. The smith I use to have (he retired) do mine was very cheep if I brought him just the barrel. I would pull the barrel and cut it off right behind the front site then he threads them.

Make sure you have an 18" bbl before you go cutting.

EDIT:
    While integrally-suppressed barrels are very cool they do have some downsides too. The big down side to me is that you can really only use it on one gun. I have at least 6 guns that I use this can on so it makes sense to me.

You can get thread on silencers starting at about $200 with the average ones running about $3-350. Integral bbls seem to start about $6-700.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Why not get an integrally-suppressed barrel installed? Sure, it would only be good for any 10-22 you owned, but whattayawant?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the money involved here, do-it-yourself is not the way to go. I suggest you find a local Class III dealer (who is also a Class III repair facility) & discuss your options with him; you're going to have to deal with him eventually, so you might as well establish a relationship. He will help you figure out how you will sight the rifle (some cans will obscure the sights), & he will be able to thread your barrel or install an adaptor. He will work on your rifle if the ammo you select doesn't cycle the action reliably.

Personally, I'd prefer a new rifle with an integral suppressor. But, we all like different toys.

Neal
  • Options
    JesseLeeJesseLee Member Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information guys. I have called my local class 3 and his response is that he mainly does transfers. Here in Georgia we are a class 3 friendly state so I have the ability to get without much hassel. Anyway, I found some videos on YOUTUBE and thought it would be fun. I already plan on getting one for my SIG MOSQ. So I would like to be able to mount it to my 10/22 as well. I just dont know how it would mount with the front site on the barrel. I was just looking for alternative ideas that was out there. Thanks
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seen a collet that slips on over the front of the barrel that is attached by a set screw and the end of the collet is threaded. I don't like that idea myself, just don't seen stable enough. Now though you can find 10/22 barrels already threaded all over the net, seen many for less than $100. And it only takes 5 minutes to swap a barrel on a 10/22, so I would keep your current barrel, and buy a 'new' threaded barrel. For the 10/22 I 'canned' I bought a new barrel with the slower twist for shooting the auglia .22SSS heavy bullet, like it best than any other ammo.