In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.380 out of a 9mm revolver

jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Can I shoot .380 out of a 9mm revolver? I know .380 is more expensive but my wife doesn't like the recoil of the Taurus 9mm 905 revolver. It's sharper than a 38 special in the same gun. I think she would practice more if the round was a little lighter.

I also have a S&W 610 10mm revolver that I commonly shoot 40S&W out of. I'm guessing I could but want to ask.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    As to the 610, absolutely you can shoot 40's out of it, S&W even lists it in their owners manuals as a safe interchange. Mine only sees 10mm less than 1% of the time. Both cases are straight walled.

I wouldn't shoot 380's out of a 9mm. The 9mm is heavily tapered, and the 380 isn't, it would probably work, but the chance of a ruptured case would be pretty high.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you can't.
    Trying it could be dangerous because of headspace problems.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Probably" won't work - in a revolver you are obviously using "moon clips" so head space is not a problem, both cartridges are "straight walled" rimless design - so that is not a problem. Both projectiles are .355 or 9 mm, so that is not a problem. The problem arises with neck diameter and case head diameter - there's enough difference to create at least two problems:
    .380 cases will not stay in the 9mm moon clip
    case neck diameter of the .380 is smaller - resulting in possible over exansion into the 9mm cylinder chambers - resulting in stuck cartridges or possibly split cartridges.
    See below for cartridge specifications.
    One possible solution would be to get ahold of some of the 100 gr. 9x19mm low recoil cartridges and let your wife try them in your revolver. Good luck!

9x19mm/Luger/Parabellum Specifications
    Parent case 7.65x22mm Parabellum
    Case type Rimless, straight
    Bullet diameter 9. mm (0.35 in)
    Neck diameter 9.65 mm (0.380 in)
    Base diameter 9.93 mm (0.391 in)
    Rim diameter 9.96 mm (0.392 in)
    Case length 19.15 mm (0.754 in)
    Overall length 29.69 mm (1.169 in)
    Primer type Small pistol

.380ACP, 9mm Browning/Kurtz/Corto Specifications
    Case type Rimless, straight
    Bullet diameter .355 in (9.0 mm)
    Neck diameter .373 in (9.5 mm)
    Base diameter .374 in (9.5 mm)
    Rim diameter .374 in (9.5 mm)
    Rim thickness .045 in (1.1 mm)
    Case length .680 in (17.3 mm)
    Overall length .984 in (25.0 mm)
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the Taurus uses moon clips, but headspaces on the case mouth.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Let her practice with lower velocity (subsonic) 9mm rounds; there's no reason to endanger her just because she doesn't like the recoil.
    Also might consider buying her a PAST glove for her shooting hand, or installing some cushiony Hogue grips to soak up some of the sting.
    It may be psychological, but try her out with an oversized pair of shooting glasses; my ex used to flinch and complain a lot because she was afraid of the shock wave coming back at her face.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Sell it and buy her a semi 9mm, then use low recoil self defense ammo like the Hydrashok
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though it might be possible to get away with it under certain circumstances, .380 from a 9mm is not considered a safe "conversion". I wouldn't try this.

quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Let her practice with lower velocity (subsonic) 9mm rounds; there's no reason to endanger her just because she doesn't like the recoil.
    Also might consider buying her a PAST glove for her shooting hand, or installing some cushiony Hogue grips to soak up some of the sting.
    It may be psychological, but try her out with an oversized pair of shooting glasses; my ex used to flinch and complain a lot because she was afraid of the shock wave coming back at her face.

I'm not sure the former would help. Subsonic 9mm rounds use heavy 147 grain bullets and in my experience the recoil isn't really reduced. The lower REPORT (ie "bang") might be helpful, though.

The latter are good ideas. 9mm from a snubnose can be pretty hard recoil wise. People love to bash the 9mm round, but it puts out energy somewhere in between the usual .38+P and .357 magnum. Its a lot of power coming from a snubnose.

I've found that changing out the two finger "boot" grips to full three finger grips makes a *huge* difference in perceived recoil, and I think that would be a good way to go.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only Taurus 9mm revolver that I know of (there may be others as I don't know everything) is the Model 905 and that one requires moonclips. That model is discontinued - for whatever reason.
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not get your wife a 22 revolver and or a 22 auto so range time will be more enjoyable? Between bricks she could pop a few 9's and then continue with pleasurable trigger and sight time with the 22.