In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert & Others - Winchester Butt Plates

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hey,

When did steel stop and the bakelite / black plastic butt plates start on Winchester rifles, and did they overlap?

Thanks!

There is an edit below in each post:

Henshaw discusses "scored steel" and Checkered butt plates. Do you have a photo of scored steel?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    [urlhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110284143010&_trksid=p2759.l1259][/url]

for example, These are on gunhaterbay. I have 2 like this..

Another plastic one has a diamond pattern top and bottom, but no logo circle.

I am working on 2 items:
    a Win 54 rifle, and then trying to improve a naked old 70 stock for the day I find a beater pre 64 to fix up.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 94? Model 70?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello MBK,

There is not a definitive date when Winchester switched from steel butt plates to the hard black rubber butt plates. It varies greatly from model to model. For instance, on the Model 1885, there was a 20-year overlap period where a smooth steel shotgun butt plate or a black hard rubber shotgun butt plate could be installed. For the Model 1897 Winchester, two different style steel butt plates were used, and a black hard rubber plate... all overlapping. For the Model 1894, a black hard rubber butt shotgun style plate was a special order option almost from inception, but a smooth steel, or checkered steel shotgun butt plate could also be ordered. The later models (e.g. 1911 and 1912) were standard with a black hard rubber butt plates. Some models (the 1892/92 and 1894/94) used steel butt plates (various styles) through WW II.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 70 started out with steel as shown below and went to plastic in about 1956 or 57.

Winchester Model 70 Standard 1955
    IMG_0028-2.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    please see my additional questions in the 2 edits above.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MBK
    Hey,

When did steel stop and the bakelite / black plastic butt plates start on Winchester rifles, and did they overlap?

Thanks!

There is an edit below in each post:

Henshaw discusses "scored steel" and Checkered butt plates. Do you have a photo of scored steel?

Take a look at picture #13 in this listing - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108430012
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MBK
    [urlhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110284143010&_trksid=p2759.l1259][/url]

for example, These are on gunhaterbay. I have 2 like this..

Another plastic one has a diamond pattern top and bottom, but no logo circle.

I am working on 2 items:
    a Win 54 rifle, and then trying to improve a naked old 70 stock for the day I find a beater pre 64 to fix up.

Ok, in doing some quick research, the Model 54 was made with both the "scored" type steel butt plate (early production), and with the checkered steel type (late production) found on the early production Model 70s.
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "scored" or all horizontal pattern was also known as the Marksman or Target style- the later steel crossed-pattern with the top (heel) of the buttstock inletted (similar to Parker shotguns with their famous steel skeleton buttplates) was also known as a "Widow's Peak"- why, can't say- but many men who know older Winchesters like the Pope knows his way around the Vatican have said that-!!
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Tidbit: perhaps a little off topic, but a "widow's peak" is the pointy part of the hairline above the center of the forehead, usually visible when someone pulls their hair back. I believe it's more prevalent in women. Can resemble the buttplate "point" in question quite closely.

Now, not to be a smartie, but I hope I never see a buttplate with a "cowlick"[:D]

Best, Joe
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or a cowplate with a buttlick- Jarheads think Navy Corpsmen walk on water-thanks for your service--Old Gunny!!