In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger NM Blackhawk Cylinder Frame

moparmopar Member Posts: 338 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Could anyone tell me where I could get a cylinder frame for NM .45 Blackhawk?There is a parts kit listed on the GB site with everything but the frame.Would like to see if I could possibly build another working SA revolver out of the parts if I was able to locate a good frame.Does Ruger sell them by chance?I have friend who is an FFL holder it could be shipped too.

Thanks Folks
Doug

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The frame is the actual firearm. Unless you can find someone selling a frame on the loose, Ruger is your only hope. BUT, I doubt if Ruger will sell you just a frame.

Johnny

ADDED: You can also look for a dogged out Blackhawk that has a useable frame. Something that may have a bulged barrel, poor reblue, etc.

JBG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Johnny,

That's kind of what I've figured on.Was hoping a fellow GB member might have one and we could workout a deal.I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see what they tell me.Thanks for your response too bud,I appreciate it.

Doug
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they will sell one at all, it would likely be at the price of a new BH, IMHO.

Been there, done that in the past. Trying to assemble parts from a stripped, (usually by law enforcement), handgun.

Check out the auction there was a guy who specialized in these kind of parts. Far as the feds are concerned the frame is the firearm. Long as a firearm seized by law enforcement has it's serial numbered frame destroyed, all the other parts can be utilized for beer and party money. Obviously this isn't going to happen in a big city department, but other lot smaller jurisdictions look the other way.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several repressive jurisdictions that ban the sale of evidence firearms, not wanting to let a gun with such bad habits get back "on the street" where it will offend again.
    Many of them will sell off the parts to fund various government activties and acquisitions.

I doubt there is any gun company that will sell a bare frame to be reconstituted with these wicked barrels.

There are good to excellent aftermarket frames for 1911s, and a parts set for one of them would be worth having. I don't know about that outfit that advertises BHP recievers, but it might be worth a chance if the confiscated parts were cheap enough.

Ruger? Not a chance.
    As said, you could use the parts set to rehabiliate a beat up or neglected gun or do a caliber change with. But it is not a cheap route to a new pistol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys.Think I'll just get the kit and keep the parts as spares for my .45 and not worry about trying to get a frame

Doug
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish it wasnt so, but we chop up all our crime guns. Nothing is sold, and ammo that isnt used for testing or other such stuff is destroyed too. Another reason I had to get back out on the street. Broke my heart to see a triple lock smith cut up into pieces.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CSI21
    I wish it wasnt so, but we chop up all our crime guns. Nothing is sold, and ammo that isnt used for testing or other such stuff is destroyed too. Another reason I had to get back out on the street. Broke my heart to see a triple lock smith cut up into pieces.

agghhhhhhhh [:(]