In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 magazines

keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I want to buy additional magazines for my Kimber. I would appreciate recommendations

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought my first 1911.
    It's a Ruger SR1911 Commander and I want to know what are the best made magazines for this gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up these 1911 magazines recently. I can find no markings on them. Can anyone tell me about the 2 tone finish?
    Thanks, -Otter[img][/img]DSCN01363.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a kimber "custom" (fullsize) 1911. will magazines from other manufacturers be interchangable as long as they're all for single stack 1911's? example, could i use a para 1911 single stack .45 mag in a kimber single stack .45 1911? also i'm interested in purchasing some aftermarket magazines with the base pads. i have added a magwell and need the base pad to help seat the mag without having to shove a finger in there to make sure it's seated. promag? mec-gar? wilson combat? which are the good ones? thanks in advance
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you cant go wrong with Wilson's , they are one of the best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TANK78Z
    you cant go wrong with Wilson's , they are one of the best.

I thought that's what I had heard. So they are better than Kimber?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Wilson's are the very BEST. They smoke anything else...including the Kimber magazines. Once you use the Wilsons, you will archive your Kimber's.

Best

EDIT 1

They are at the head of the class for reliability. I know a guy who went to a class at Black Water, and over three days, fired 4000 rounds thru his Wilson Super Grade, 4" barrel, using 8 different magazines...all Wilson also. He had the only gun in the entire class that did not have a stoppage...that included GLOCK.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The Wilson's are the very BEST. They smoke anything else...including the Kimber magazines. Once you use the Wilsons, you will archive your Kimber's.

Best

In what way are they better? For example easier to load, more reliable etc.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wilson's are a good mag,but I have had them wear on the slide hold-open step. I prefer McCormicks Power Mags.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wilson's are very well made and engineered , feeding issues virtually disappear , they are excellent but not perfect, I have had a few (3) that needed new springs after only a thousand rounds. I have 8 that I use at the range all the time, and 3 that I only shoot twice a year , I use these for carry .
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Wilson's are a good mag,but I have had them wear on the slide hold-open step. I prefer McCormicks Power Mags.

Ditto. Like Wilson's...prefer Mccormicks. Don't think you can go wrong with either as it is just preference. I actually have not had a problem with either over the years.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had zero issues w/ my Chip McCormick 10 or 8 round mags. The factory mag my RIA came with is a Novak - no issues there either.

However, avoid promag - mine required 3 hands to remove from the gun once it was empty. And believe it or not, a Kimber branded mag gave jams every few rounds in several 1911s we tried it in.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chip McCormick mags have held up to the thousands of loadings needed for NRA Bullseye shooting during a year or two. I have never had a failure to feed or a magazine that wore out.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine runs McCormicks in his Kahr 1911 and they work flawlessly. I actually run Kimber 1911 9mm mags in my Llama and have had no issues. The only brand of mag I've ever had issues with were Triple K.