In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9MM ... OLD VS NEW

1988RRC1988RRC Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am looking into getting a 9mm for carry purposes. i dont really care for the 'new' black polymer type pistols and really like the looks and feel of the 'old' browning hi power. Question: are there any real advantages or design features the new polymer pistols have over the old browning hi power P35?

Comments

• Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only real advantage i have seen on a tuperware gun is lack of rusting and what not. With a steel/metal gun you can normally shoot +p if you need it. I really like my "6" series S&W semi, cheaper to buy and just as reliable as a hi-power. i have over 2k rounds with 1 FTF(prob ammo since primer was struck hard) and zero FTE

i carry a 659 da/sa
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you are comfortable carring a pistol "cocked and locked" there is not a thing wrong with the High Power.
    In the general discustion forum there are posts where guys don't care for the Glock type safeties. I think it's funny that they don't say a thing about Sigs or Kahr's that are double action.
  • Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like the Browning Hi Power you will really like the CZ 75B with steel frame. The CZ 75B Compact has a shorter barrel and an alloy frame which makes it lighter to carry. Try this link for more information...... http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b/
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    For a CCW gun there are a few advantages and disadvantages to the "plastic" guns.

Advantage:
    1. Lighter (that's a biggie).
    2. Less parts.
    3. No rust.
    4. Conformance to specifications (not tighter, just consistent).
    5. Parts can be glued on the gun.
    6. Comes out of holster easier (some would argue that point)

Dis-advantage:
    1. UV rays will effect the plastic (even with UV inhibitor).
    2. Like wood and steel, some are made with marginal material.
    3. Not easy to customize (unless they are glue on parts).
    4. Not easy to "tweek" in some cases like stoning metal.
    5. Break in time is a little longer then most metal guns.

Well made plastic gun should last a lifetime. Either way, your choice.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three of various vintages and carry one on my CCW. If you are comfortable with it, there is nothing wrong with it.

For me it points naturally, is accurate enough for its purpose, and feeds my self defense ammo reliably.

My only regret is there was never a factory compact version.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    I have three of various vintages and carry one on my CCW. If you are comfortable with it, there is nothing wrong with it.

For me it points naturally, is accurate enough for its purpose, and feeds my self defense ammo reliably.

My only regret is there was never a factory compact version.

There is a FM Detective model that has a 1" shorter slide. All parts interchange with a FN P35.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the big advantages of polymer over metal framed guns is weight.

With a single action like the hi-power, or 1911, you are limited in modes of cary to either cocked and locked or empty chamber. I carry mine(1911's) cocked and locked, and don't have a problem with it.

However, some polymer framed guns are striker fired, and some are hammer fired. The striker fired ones, when a stoppage is experienced, one has to rack the slide back to re-cock the striker. The hammer fired ones are either double action, like the Kahr, or DA/SA like the Beretta 92. Speaking of which, I wouldnt rule that out either...especially the new PX4 Storm by Beretta. It is very ergonomic, and feels good in my hand in either the full size, compact size, or sub compact size. With the DA, or DA/SA, you have the second strike capability from just squeezing the trigger again.

If you are stuck on the metal frame, and want the DA/SA option, or just the DA, then look for a used S&W 6906, 6904, or 3913...or if you are happy with the High Power, then grab one.

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a word the biggest advantage of polymer FRAME guns is that they're lighter, which is nice for concealed carry.

Note that the slides, barrels, and most internal parts are still going to be made of steel, even in the polymer frame guns, and THOSE parts might still be subject to corrosion the same as the internals in any other gun (though in practice most are fairly corrosion resistant).

As to other stuff, Glocks have been around for 30 years now, and the plastic frames do seem to hold up fine to both wear and tear and UV light exposure. In fact the polymer frames are REALLY tough, and you'd have a hard time breaking one, even if you were trying to do so deliberately by repeatedly smacking it into a brick wall, etc.

In terms of action type, you can get polymer frame guns in any action type. There are striker-fired polymer guns, like the Glock, but there are also conventional double-action guns with polymer frames, and even 1911-like single action guns. So don't think that every polymer gun "has" to have a striker-fired action.

There are also aluminum alloy frame guns (eg the Smiths) which are still lighter than steel, maybe not quite as light as polymer, but metal.

And yeah, the CZ-75 is sort of a modern version of the older Browning Hi-Power, in terms of being a double-stack all steel "service" type gun that you can carry cocked-and-locked. You can also carry it hammer down for traditional double-action *IF* (and only if) you want to.

Edit:
    Yes, CZ does put out a polymer framed version, if you like.
    get-img.jpg

Edit, just for laughs, here is the Wilson polymer 1911. I have zero personal experience with it, but given its maker, I'd speculate that its probably a reasonably good gun:
    4-tm.jpg

And what the hell, here is a polymer framed Hi-Power from South Africa, so I guess you could have your cake and eat it too!
    image002.jpg
    Link to discussion here:
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Polymer Frame.htm
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't rule out the old Smith's I had a 3914 that I wish I had never sold
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    The lighter weight of polymer also has it's disadvantages, particularly with the lighter recoil impulse of the 9mm.

The three elements required of a semiauto are fire, eject and feed, with slide speed being a critical element of two of these.

Keep in mind that slide speed refers to it's rate of movement in relation to the frame. If not well supported the lighter the pistol's frame the more quickly it will also go into motion when the round discharges. If the pistol's frame begins moving too quickly this has the effect of slowing the slide's rate of movement on the frame. That leads to stoppages, most commonly a stovepiped cartridge case.

In short, a solid grip and locked wrist are much more important with an ultra-lightweight polymer frame equipped pistol.

People's argument against this point is that it's a training issue or simply operator error if the frame isn't gripped well and the wrist solidly locked when firing, but that fails to take into account that it's an imperfect world out there.

In a defensive situation the shooter needs the pistol to be as forgiving as possible of errors which may be brought on by elements ranging from a slippery grip frame to injury to being forced to fire with the weak hand to simply being in a really big hurry. When that trigger is pressed, fire/eject/feed must occur every time and over the widest range of circumstances possible.

I've been a LE firearms instructor for many years and have spent untold number of hours on the range with personnel using a wide variety of handguns. During this time I've witnessed a much higher rate of such malfunctions with polymer framed 9mm pistols.

They may be good, solidly built and accurate pistols, but they also have this characteristic which must be kept in mind.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hi-Power was the choice of the SAS for a long time and they seem to know what they are doing in CQB. I have always felt the P-35 was the most natural grip ever put on a pistol. The polymer guns tend to be bulkier for a given capacity. I also have an AT-84, which is a Swiss built version of the CZ-75. Its grip is very similar to the P-35, but the reach to the trigger is very long. It is one of the versions that allow cocked and locked carry or hammer down with safety engaged carry. For carry in summer clothing I carry a Kahr PM-9 which has a polymer frame. It is rated for +p loads and not at all unpleasant with them. As for advantages or disadvantages I think that is probably mostly in the eye of the user. If the pistol meets your needs and you are confident in being able to use it effectively then it is right for you.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Look at the Sig P225 or the government P6. Single stack 9mm. Both my wife and I use this gun as our CCW.
    My 2 cents [8D]
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jury is still out on how well the poly frames will hold over time...

Old plastic has a nasty habit of cracking/splitting.