In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rem 1100 won't cycle

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a remington 20 ga LT magnum and it won't cycle. Before I bought it I tried a couple 2-3/4" high brass and it worked fine. When I got it home I took the barrel off to clean the bore and when I got it back together it wouldn't cycle. I even replaced the O ring. I followed the assembly diagram on the tube, wiped down the mag tube with an oiled cloth, checked for burrs on the piston. What else can I try

Comments

• Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    by not cycling i assume u mean wont eject spent case

i just made this mistake other day feild stripping at the range.

make sure you have all 3 rings on mag tube and in correct order/way

from bottom to top (reciver to barrel end after barrel is on)

1. beveled thick ring (depressend end goes up were u can see the deep part, sorry hard to explain)
    2. thin metal ring(needs to set in bevel of one above)
    3. o ring
    if it is not that then only thing else is blocked gas port i would think
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the serial number is P2190xxU. I think it's from the mid 80's
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the gas port.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just cleaned everything including the barrel, and running a #52 drill in the gas port, and just fired a couple 2-3/4 rounds and it seems to be working. One thing I forgot to mention before is when it wasn't cycling a couple of the super X MK-5 cases were split. Suggestions?
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    winchester has always has brass splitting issue on occasion, the older they are the more likely to split, they get brittle
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was the plastic splitting about 1-3/8" long, measured from the end, not the brass
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All high brass 2-3/4" shells will not cycle the 1100 magnums...only the high dram and / or heavier loads will. That shotgun was designed for 3" magnum loads...If you need to use 2-3/4" loads..put a non- magnum barrel on it...
    JIM............
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    winchester had plastic splitting issues too especially on the smooth Mark 5
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the 1100 Magnums, in both the 12, and 20 gauge. They will not cycle light 2 3/4 inch loads reliably. They have to be a HEAVY load. This goes for even the high brass loads. If they have a light charge, they will not cycle. Like has been told, you have to revert to a 2 3/4" barrel.

Best
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What they said, Magnums are for magnums, thats why Remington came out with the 11-87, basically an upgraded 1100. I love them both, but wouldnt have a 1100 magnum now that I have 11-87.