In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Damasco Bernard

small gaugesmall gauge Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a old Hammer 16 ga with Damasco Bernard on the barrels, would like any info or a point in the right direction..thanks

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to information at www.littlegun.be , Bernard is the pattern of the Damascus twist in the barrels and does not identify the maker of the shotgun.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Please take a look at the bottom of the barrels for a Belgian proof mark, the letters "ELG" in an ova lwith a crown on top. If there,I might be able to answer your question.
  • small gaugesmall gauge Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    Please take a look at the bottom of the barrels for a Belgian proof mark, the letters "ELG" in an ova lwith a crown on top. If there,I might be able to answer your question.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by small gauge
    yes, this gun does have ELG proof marks....
    edited November -1
    yes, ELG proof marks on barrles...
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Most likely a typo but it's barrels. The gun is a Belgian made, the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown on top confirm that. I found a listing for a Emile Bernard, a Belgian barrel maker located at 54 Rue St Martin Liege,Belgium until at least 1914. Thousands of Belgian made shotguns were imported into the United States between 1880 and 1914 when World War One, The Great War or The War To End All Wars (choose one) cut off exports from Europe. So it would appear that you have a gun made using barrels made by Emil Bernard. Don't have any idea who the maker of the gun was though. Guns made during this time period were designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the time and and for the ammunition in use back then which was 2 1/2 inch shells loaded with black powder and lead shot. The gun will have damascus barrels. The gun was not designed for modern 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with high pressure smokeless powder or steel shot. My recommendation is don't attempt to shoot it! Value. Some classify the gun as JABC (Just Another Belgian Clunker) Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example (rare to very rare) that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a boat anchor might bring as little as $10.