In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

250 Savage loads?

TreadlightlyTreadlightly Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi all. I just bouhgt myself an old Sako rebarrelled to 250 Savage.
I'm planning on using the Nosler 110/115 bullets with Re15/17 and was hoping someone here might give me a heads-up on a starting loads using these components. Thanks, hope to be hearing from you soon[:D]

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Treadlightly,

You can start at about 33.0 gr. of the Re-17 with the 115 Nosler as long as you're seated to 2.515" OAL.

I suggest posting this request in the Competition and Reloading forum as well.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Treadlightly
    Hi all. I just bouhgt myself an old Sako rebarrelled to 250 Savage.
    I'm planning on using the Nosler 110/115 bullets with Re15/17 and was hoping someone here might give me a heads-up on a starting loads using these components. Thanks, hope to be hearing from you soon[:D]

I'm jealous[:p][:D][:D]

Seriously, any more information on the rifle? I know it's a bolt gun, but barrel length? Twist? The reason I ask those questions is a longer barrel length can use a slower powder. Gaining some velocity while not creating the high pressure at ignition. Twist because, you probably already know this but, your bullet choice may not be optimal. Just some points to ponder.

I say them because my .250-3000 can't shoot anything heavier (longer) than a 90 gr. Sierra Boattail. It came with the original 1-14" twist.

Anyhow, What I've found with Reloader 17 in most cases is you top out around where 4350 begins. Find the start load for any flavor of 4350 and reduce 10% and work up. Even though the two powders are very close in burn rate, the RE-17 being a double base means a reduction so you don't over pressure. Hodgdon shows 34.5 as a starting point for 4350 so if you started at 31 gr. that wouldn't be too bad.

I really like working with RE-17. I don't know if you've a mind to look beyond these two powders and slow down a bit, but I would also recommend RE-19 in there for those heavier bullets. You might also consider Vihtavuori N-150/550, or N-160/560 (single/double base). And, I've already mentioned 4350. I like H4350 here for the temp extremes. But, where you're at, that won't be a problem, so get what you like and is available there.

While I like RE-17, it's about as fast as you would want to use in this situation. Other powders will work, including RE-15, but it's faster than you can optimize a load here. If it's what you can get your hands on it will work just fine, assuming you're okay with giving up some velocity. Meaning it will make good consistent rounds.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 7 bolt action rifles in the .250 Savage chambering. I use mostly 100 gr. bullets and IMR4895 or H4895 in mine. I get the best accuracy from Sierra bullets. In the rifles with 1-14 twist, I use flat base (since they're shorter than BT's) or 87 gr. I have tried 115 to 120 gr. and they run a little slow from that small case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, thanks for the advice. The barrel is 26" at present but I've been thinking of trimming it down to 24", not sure about that. Twist is 1:10, profile I'm not sure but looks like Number 6/7
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Treadlightly
    OK, thanks for the advice. The barrel is 26" at present but I've been thinking of trimming it down to 24", not sure about that. Twist is 1:10, profile I'm not sure but looks like Number 6/7

I suggest NOT trimming it down. You can get 2800 fps with that case and a 110/115 gr. bullet {edit: with that long barrel}.
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just glad to see someone from the land down under with a gun, since the government took them all away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I'll be stretching the throat out to take the OAL on this round to 2.75. Fits nicely in the Sako mag and makes max use of available case space with Re17 and 115 Noslers. I expect to get around 2900fps with 37gr of Re17 or that's what I'm hoping for.
    There's many here who have tried and are still trying to have all firearms restricted to military use. Some have been advocating disarming the police also. These are mostly city folk who never see a wild animal except in the nature programs and consider them all to be sweet and fluffy and anyone having anything to do with firearms is evil or seriously in need of pshychiatric help.
    Don't ever give up your right to bear arms, very hard to get "em back
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DO NOT forget to keep us informed[:D]. Also, popping in once in a while with news from 'Down Under' wouldn't hurt either[;)][:D]

-good luck

Edit:

I also got to thinking that if you weren't satisfied with the .250-3000 performance there is the possibility of improving the cartridge/chamber. The .250 was, in Ackleys' own opinion, his best conversion. It was the perfect bore/capacity size and the most improved of all his improvements. However, you don't necessarily have to go with the 40 degree shoulder. In some cases I think that may inhibit performance. Since the cartridge starts with a 26 deg. 30' shoulder, if you improved it, along with moving the shoulder out to .459" I would think about something higher than 30 deg. but maybe not as steep as 40 deg. Efficiency you know...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm yes, that improved case is an option I've been looking at.
    The barrel and action are at the smiths now. Problem is I can't close the bolt on 22/250 cases necked up. Don't know what's going on there. The smith will be taking a casting and then we'll see what's what.
    As for the rest I'm not sure if I can get a reamer to stretch just the throat. I really do want to use the heavy Noslers seated all the way out. I already have new Redding dies and don't want to go to the extra expense of buying another set as well as a reamer on top.
    But then again this may be an unusual chamber, might be just some residue left over from the rebarrel stuck in the chamber preventing the bolt closing. Let's hope it's that simple.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Treadlightly,

"Problem is I can't close the bolt on 22/250 cases necked up."

You shouldn't be able to. Look at these dimension drawings for the answer. The 22-250 Remington has a rim to base of the neck length of 1.660" while the .250-3000 Savage length is 1.637". The shoulder angle is different also, 26.5 degrees for the 250-3000 Savage as opposed to 28 degrees for the .22-250 Rem.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd2503000savage.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd22250.jpg

You can get throating reamers which your gunsmith can use to alter the length of the throat without having to get a custom reamer for the entire chamber.

Best.