In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

s&w 14 - 8 3/4" - nickel... value

BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know the value of a s&w 14-4 in 8 3/4" barrel with a nickel finish? It's also unfired. Thanks, Brett.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We really need photos.

Early vs late production affect the value, as does the original box & packaging. We also need to know if there is an "N" on the barrel, cylinder, & frame, indicating factory nickel finish.

Neal

EDIT: I don't know when S&W started marking nickel guns, but it has to be at least 40-50 years ago. Dimensions on major parts are made to different specs to compensate for the thickness that plating adds.swm10nickel4.jpg

EDIT: I concur with rufe-snow. A minty nickel gun in the box could sell for $1K or more. But, half the collectors will back off without the box. Given limited shooter interest in the long barrel, it may only bring $400-500. So, a wide range unless you have > 1 collector bidding.
  • BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    We really need photos.

Early vs late production affect the value, as does the original box & packaging. We also need to know if there is an "N" on the barrel, cylinder, & frame, indicating factory nickel finish.

Neal

I only have two photo's I took with my cell phone real quick. I know they are not the best, but it's all I have right now. BTW, these are all model 14's, but my question pertains to the top one.

I have the S&W tools and firearms manual... no box. Fromt the e-mail I have:

FACTORY STAMPS UNDER GRIPS SHOW 7.79 R-N
    S/N 27K59X5X

I will look for the other stampings when I get home. Just wondering here do all nickel finishes by S&W get stamped with an "N"?

pic1.jpg
    pic2.jpg
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A factory nickeled, 8 3/8, K 38, is strictly going to be for a collector. Doubtful many were ever made. Hard to price because of that. Your either going to have to sell it cheap, if your wanting to sell it quick. Or hold on to it until you get 2 or more collector(s) who are willing to compete for it on the auction.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    July 1979 re-nickle (7.79 R-N)...
    JIM......