In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger M77 ???

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
ok i got offerd a trade here local for my S&W 659 (back up pistol).

but i have no personal info on the rifle. can anyone give me there PERSONAL experiance with the rifle-- i intend to make it into a target rifle down the road.

it is a MKII SS all weather chambered in 30-06--

Are these like Rmy's being a long action i can chamber down the road to 300 win, 338 so on

Comments

• fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between the old style (not Mk II) long and short tang? Is this a caliber separation, or a model type (in other words, is it the caliber that separates the short vs. long tang)?

If caliber, what is the break point between long and short tangs?

If some other distinction, what is the difference?

I have an old style (I believe...may not hurt to verify this) M77 in .30-06, and I'd like to re-stock the rifle so I need to understand these differences.

Thanks!
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are no where near like a Remington. You can rechamber them to a 30 cal magnum, or rebarrel to a different calibeer, but the bolt face, extractor, and ejector will need work, as will the feed rails. It is not a plug and play.

As for the rifle itself...They are good rifles, especially the early ones with the skeleton looking Zytel stock. They will need lots of work to become the target rifle you talk about. Like pillar bedding, free float the barrel, and a good trigger job. I have a bit of experience with these in those area's.

Best

EDIT 1,

I didn't leave anything out. The feed rails, and bolt will have to be modified. Yes, you can get a new bolt, if you can find one. Ruger is not into selling components like that. These rifles, as like many other bolt rifles are not modular like the AR-15 platforms.

Best
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    They are no where near like a Remington. You can rechamber them to a 30 cal magnum, or rebarrel to a different calibeer, but the bolt face, extractor, and ejector will need work, as will the feed rails. It is not a plug and play.

As for the rifle itself...They are good rifles, especially the early ones with the skeleton looking Zytel stock. They will need lots of work to become the target rifle you talk about. like pillar bedding, free float the barrel, and a good trigger job. I a bit of experience with these in those area's.

Best

do what lol

but if i rebarrel for diff caliber rather than reworking the bolt i could buy one in that caliber right? or does the action need to retain same bolt for size reason or what not?
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger 77s don't have a reputation for great out of the box accuracy. I've had quite a few of them and accuracy has been good in some cases and poor in others. That said, if you make the trade I'd take the rifle to the range and see how it does. I had one of those all weather rifles with the black Zytel stock in 280 Remington and couldn't believe how accurate it was; less than an inch at 100 yards. If the '06 shoots as well I wouldn't rush to spend money making it in to something else. If it doesn't shoot well you can do better with other platforms as project rifles; 700 Remington would be a good choice. A good option might be to shoot the rifle before you do the trade and make the trade dependent on how well it shoots.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22hipower
    Ruger 77s don't have a reputation for great out of the box accuracy. I've had quite a few of them and accuracy has been good in some cases and poor in others. That said, if you make the trade I'd take the rifle to the range and see how it does. I had one of those all weather rifles with the black Zytel stock in 280 Remington and couldn't believe how accurate it was; less than an inch at 100 yards. If the '06 shoots as well I wouldn't rush to spend money making it in to something else. If it doesn't shoot well you can do better with other platforms as project rifles; 700 Remington would be a good choice. A good option might be to shoot the rifle before you do the trade and make the trade dependent on how well it shoots.

yea my plan is to trade, shoot it, and unless it is a freakish tack driver try and trade it out to a buddy who has a 1970 long action r700 (action only) and build from there
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    Ruger used to buy their barrels (lowest bidder?), once they started making their own barrels (77 mark ll) accuracy improved a lot. If you want a true target rifle this ain't it.
  • CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since both guns are used and its a trade, go shoot it together and make your decision from there. I thought that the Rugers with the all weather platform where go anywhere guns, just not the tack drivers some want, but good enough for most folks.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will likely be a deer rifle, either of mine will keep within four inches at 200 yards without too much effort on my part. That will drop a deer, but it is not a target rifle and certainly not a competition rifle.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

As for the rifle itself...They are good rifles, especially the early ones with the skeleton looking Zytel stock. They will need lots of work to become the target rifle you talk about. like pillar bedding, free float the barrel, and a good trigger job. I a bit of experience with these in those area's.

Best

do what lol

but if i rebarrel for diff caliber rather than reworking the bolt i could buy one in that caliber right? or does the action need to retain same bolt for size reason or what not?

Yes, for long actions with a bolt face .DIA of .470 +/-, you can re-barrel it for the following (I'm sure there's more but it's a start): 220 Swift, 6mm Rem, 240 Weatherby Mag, 257 Roberts, 25-06 Rem, 257 Weatherby,6.5x55 Swedish, 270 Win, 7x57 Mauser, 7x64 Brenneke, 280 Rem, 30/06 Springfield, 8mm Mauser, 338/06 A Square, and the 35 Whelen.