In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

adjusting trigger pull

airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering how dangerous it is to do this yourself? I have a savage that doesn't have accutrigger, and really don't feel like taking it to a gunsmith.

Comments

• fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by airbornerizz
    I was wondering how dangerous it is to do this yourself? I have a savage that doesn't have accutrigger, and really don't feel like taking it to a gunsmith.

well if it dont have accu-trigger how will you do it?

now i did mine on my sako, got zero lash and 2.75lbs of pull on factory trigger that does allow both lash and weight adjustment
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage can be done fairly easily, but it is best to take to someone with the know. Unintended discharges are no fun. Safety first.

Best

EDIT 1

v35,

That is a very valid comment. That is why I say that any adjustments should be done by someone with experience in doing it right. The weight of pull on the accu-trigger, and x-mark pro are excluded from that, as they are made to be externally adjutable by the user. But as you say, sear engagement, and the angles at which they mate are VERY important.

Best
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Books are your friend. The act of adjusting the triger pull is not dangerous but the results could very well be. Having the proper tools stones etc and skill to use them correctly is the trick. A good understanding of the mechanics of the mechanism is important. It is way easier to take off material than it is to put it back. You should check the price and availabiliy of a replacement assembly before you start.
  • airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eh... maybe I'll just take it in...
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I know how to do alot of things, but I would not do my own trigger repair, for less than 30 dollars my gunsmith will do any trigger and much more. He mounts every scope and does the trigger work on all my rifles. just part of the overall cost, and well worth it
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The savage trigger is relatively easy to adjust.
    On the 110 model there is only one screw to let out. to lessen pull.
    If you do adjust mark the screw with red nail polish or something to make it easy to go back later.

Make changes very small incrementally. Like 1/8 turn at a time.
    After adjusting dry fire to test and actuate bolt at least 10 times.
    You also rap the but to the floor a few times to be certain the adjustment has actuated after your adjustment.

Much easier on Savage 110 than say Rem 700 which has 3 adjustment ppoints. Which is the reason many amatuer foul up Rem 700 triggers and cause safety problems...
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    No such thing as a 30 dollar gunsmith here
    in New Hampshire.
    They all want to get rich quick.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    No such thing as a 30 dollar gunsmith here
    in New Hampshire.
    They all want to get rich quick.

I don't think he meant his gunsmith's hourly labor rate, just the charge for trigger adjustment. One of the gunsmith I know charges ...

Adjust Trigger -

$20 (with adjustment screws)

$40 (TC Encore)
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really need to read up on the importance of maintaining angles,
    amount of sear engagement and be good with fine work. I use a jewelers'
    magnifying headset on small work.
    As a kid, I blew a hole in an apartment wall with a sporterized 8.2x50R
    Steyr rifle while cycling the bolt using live ammo.
    In that case sear engagement was insufficient----bad news.