In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Carbine.

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm having problems with one of my carbines with a lot of miss- fires due to what looks like a soft primer strike. Ran all the miss-fired ammo through another carbine and all worked. Took the bolt apart and it all seems in order except for the extractor retaining pin (man that it a little sucker) that was broken. Does anyone know what the dimension of the firing pin should be? I should add that this is a totally rebuilt carbine so I am somewhat stumped.

Comments

• Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Just buy a replacement and put it in. You don't need to know the size to do that.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did not give a complete description of the failure to fire. When the carbine has a weak return spring or is dirty the bolt may not completely close and when you pull the trigger you will get a light strike on the primer because the bolt was not locked. It is unlikely but, your chamber could be out of specification, did you head space the rifle.

Emmett
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remove the firing pin and clean the inside channel where the pin goes. If you get dried grease and grime in that area it can interfere with the travel of the firing pin.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Emmett is on the right track; sounds like "worn recoil spring" or "failure to come into battery".

Is there a manufacturers' mark on the bolt? If not, someone may have substituted a (defective) commercial bolt, such as a Universal.

A service trained armorer should be able to diagnose; most gunsmiths don't have the gauges & tools necessary. I can give some referrals if you need them.

Neal
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. This was a Fulton Armory carbine so it was fully rebuilt. After taking it apart I suspect gunk and the like. Appreciate the comments.