In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

700 triggers ---new style

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Got new ss700 204. Took to gunsmith to get trigger adjusted to 2 lbs and he said new one are not adjustable. Need to get a new trigger. Whats up wwith that??? Really?? Remington wont allow the triggers to be adjusted any more???

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The new triggers are easily more adjustable than the old ones were, so not sure what his problem is......
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    the new triggers pretty much suck. they can not be adjusted as the likes of the old style. i tell my customers the same thing. get a timney and be done with it.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local gunsmith did my Rem 700 with the new style trigger, got it to a nice, crisp three pound pull. I don't like it lighter than that for a hunting rifle.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The new triggers are easyly adjustable however they can never be quite right. For the money invested you would be much better off by buying a quality replacement trigger such as a Timney or Rifle Basix:

http://timneytriggers.com/
    http://www.riflebasix.com/

My brother made the mistake of trying to fix a factory trigger and spent a ton of time trying to get it just right and thinking it was a great trigger. Finnally he broke down and dropped a Timney into his rifle, he was amazed at the quality of the new trigger, actually so amazed that he bought Timneys for all of his other rifles.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A difference between the older 700 triggers and the new "X" trigger is that Remington dropped a spot of thread lock well down the length of the sear adjustment screw. On the older trigger there was just a dab of something over the screw head and once peeled off you can adjust. With the X trigger you also have to heat the screw and burn off, or at least soften, the thread lock. This isn't hard to do. I held mine over an open flame for a few seconds, saw a little puff of smoke and the sear adjustment screw was able to be turned.

Obviously one needs to be careful, safety first. A pretty good trigger pull can be had.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your rifle has the X-Mark Pro trigger, it is as adjustable as the older ones. However, not even the older ones could be adjusted down to 2 poounds without modifications. They have some epoxy that needs a little help from a bic lighter or propane torch, that covers the screws. They did move the weight adjustment, so it can be acessed without taking the rifle out of the stock. They had to try to copy the Accu Trigger from Savage...or at least they way it is adjusted.

If you want to go to two pounds, you will need to....

Either first find someone who will modify your trigger for you. This might be hard to do, as not everyone will swallow the liability pill that goes with that. Second buy an aftermarket trigger, like a Timney, or Jewel.

Best
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsdoyle,

quote:...and he said new one are not adjustable.

Either you have a gun plumber or a 'smith that is lazy or has some stout prejudices. Punching out two pins and swapping triggers is far easier and more profitable than working to make a good trigger better.

The X-Mark triggers are completely adjustable within the factory range. Two pounds is a tad light for this particular geometry without some modifications to the trigger. We adjust and shoot dozens of these triggers every month for folks who shoot the higher levels of competition. So the statements about these triggers never being quite right is incorrect. Amateurs need more practice and better instruction as to how to work with triggers.

Jewell triggers are terrific for benchrest and gentlemanly pursuits which don't involve dirt and fouling. We've had these go down and not recover on some of the basic tactical competition courses of fire. The only solution is to replace those triggers with something a little better suited to those types of conditions.

A couple of the models of the Timney triggers have been O.K. for the short run but until we get several dozen with multiple thousands of rounds on them, it's just supposition.

Best.
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off big thanx to all who posted reply. Second is Im a little confused as Xmark trigger. Dont think I have one. Dosent say anything on end flap of box bout it. 700 SPS 204 Ruger 24". I have read bout it but dont think this rifle has it. Got it new off auction on Gun Broker. Ive had this guy do my work for 30+ years. I dont think hed lie to me. He has a timney ordered for it. So if it didnt come with a Xmark would one of them work same as Timney. I see them listed on auction pages. Thanx to everyone.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you smitty isn't revealing the whole truth. I think he told you the short of it, avoiding to have to explain his point of view on your request.

IMHO, the new triggers are definitly adjustable, but at the poundage you requested it's not safe &/or easily obtainable.

My guess is that, "It's not possible", mean I'm not going to do it for you when there are better after market triggers out there more suited for the 2# trigger weight. Also, he may have thought that a Timney would be a LOT safer trigger at that pull weight.

Either way, you have a better trigger with the Timney anyway.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsdoyle,

It doesn't matter if your SPS has an X-Mark or the version before it since both ARE adjustable when you know how to make the adjustments safely. This includes the legendary 40X trigger available on select models.

We're not picking on your gunsmith but rather trying to explain his statement. As I stated above, it's far easier to punch out two pins to replace a trigger than to tune an existing trigger for a customer. This is more true when you ask for a weight of pull that is on the low side for that trigger's geometry.

Good Luck with your Timney!

Best.