In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington XCR 338 Lapua

elcabioelcabio Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hello to all
I have a Rem XCR in 338 lapua. My question is what scope base will fit this. My 2 piece Talley base screws that are on my Mod 700 300 win mag are too small and just slip into the receiver screw holes. I would like to not break the bank but will go with quality one piece or a two piece. I just dont want to buy more of the wrong ones. Thanks to all

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you buy mounts, you may want to access what you are going to do with the gun. If long range shooting {that Lapua excels at this}, is what it's used for, a set with a 10 or 20 moa slant might be your best bet.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps it has larger screws to hold for recoil. They had to go from 6-48 to 8-32 then 10-32 to get a scope to stay on my 5# 458. Your local gunsmith should have hardened screws that would fit.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The screw holes are probably for the bigger #8 screws and the standard screws are #6, so they just drop into the holes. The bases should work if you get the larger diameter screws which last time I got any were $.50/piece. Once you get the bases situated and if there is any roblem with loosening, rather than retreading to a larger screw, I'd try epoxying the bases to the receiver (as long as your sure you want it that way).
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    elcabio,

Unless Remington decided to stray far from the norm, the screws you need are 8-40 and your mount has to have the holes and counterbores match those screws.

The reason for the larger diameter screws is to combat the recoil from firing this cartridge. The base and rings are determined by what you choose to do with this rifle. Standard '0' MOA bases will work with most of today's better quality scopes with a larger range of adjustments in windage and elevation. But if you feel the need to stretch this cartridge out for longer ranges you can use a base with some additional elevation built in such as a '20' MOA base. Having built, fielded and competed with this cartridge, I have never had to epoxy a properly fitted base to a receiver. Note the term 'properly'.

The cartridge can be loaded for hunting but is usually used for long range target shooting. Your particular style of rifle stock is more suited to hunting than target shooting although the stock can be switched out to one better suited to shooting longer range targets.

Take some time to decide what you want to accomplish then buy the right parts and have them assembled onto the rifle.

Best.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Remington 700 MLR in 338 LM. The screw holes are 8x40. Other than that the rifle takes the standard Remington 700 scope mounts, LA size in single mount type. Brownells sells 700 mounts using the 8X40 screws. I think mine is a Farrell steel.

The issue with a 700 mount that uses standard 6X48 screws is that the larger 8X40 screw won't pass through the smaller hole. The smaller holes can be opened up, but I'd say it's probably best to buy them in the proper size, cost is the same.
  • Options
    elcabioelcabio Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses. I plan to shoot this rifle mostly at the 1000yd range i belong to. I have thought about taking it out west when i go but am still not sure. I called remington and was told it was an 8-48 screw but i beleive maybe the guy meant to say 8-40. I will probably use a Leupold picatinny with my Long Range Pursuit scope. I will post some pics and range reports when i get to it.