In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ship ammo to Alaska

TurbomonsterTurbomonster Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to ship 50 rounds of 8x56R to Alaska. I am a private individual. Has anyone had success shipping to Alaska? If so, how did you do it and what was the approximate cost?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a guy on here who goes by golferboy426. He should be along shortly, and he is the expert in this field, if I am not mistaken.

If it can be done legally, it will cost around $200.00, or a bit more, most likely.

Best
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    basically can't legally be done in a cost effective way. All live ammo is ORM-D, thus must go ground. But UPS and Fedex both move their packages air from the lower 48. You can do a certified special air shipment which I have never done. It would be very expensive and an bureaucratic nightmare. Many people ship UPS regardless of the rules and just not mark the package, just as many people ship ammo US mail which is also not allowed.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Big wholesalers or large shippers can do it based on deals that they cut with the carriers, except USPS who will not ship ammo. The CMP can ship ammo to AK with just a 30% surcharge over the usual rates but you won't be getting anywhere near that kind of deal from any shipper. It is also possible to ship large quantities (a tractor trailer load) via ground if you have pre cleared with Canadian Customs. For an individual looking to ship fifty rounds your options are so limited that the cost of shipping will easy exceed the value of all but the most exotic and expensive ammunition.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be able to do what we do..ship it by barge. I ship mufflers to muffler shops in Anchorage & Juneau and a pallet of heavy mufflers runs under $100. If you could ship out of Portland or Seattle you might be able to do it reasonably. Lynden Transport, Pacific Alaska Freight & Span Alaska Freight all ship stuff by barge & some of my customers pick it up at the dock.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull the bullets dump the powder and deprime. Send the brass and bullets in the mail. I would think they could find a reloader guy with a 8mm die set to put them back together, put the correct shell holder in the box too.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Pull the bullets dump the powder and deprime. Send the brass and bullets in the mail. I would think they could find a reloader guy with a 8mm die set to put them back together, put the correct shell holder in the box too.

Great thought!!
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you can buy primed brass with no ORM-D issues you should be able to ship the brass primed even.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could be wrong but I believe primed brass is still ORM-D, thus no air shipment via UPS?Fedex so no AK shipping by them.

It is a difficult one to pin down without a thorough reading of all the reg. It does not seem to be regulated in the US but I did find that they are regulated internationally and both fedex/ups comply with international regs and since you have to fly over Canada still would be prohibited.

Below is a cut & paste from the UPS web site

Ground Service for Hazardous Materials, including ORM-D, Limited Quantity, and combustible materials, is not available for shipments to or from Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Catalina Island

Since primers are combustible I would say the primed cases are prohibited.

Here is the actual link

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/service_definition.html?srch_pos=4&srch_phr=explosives+shipping

What I do find interesting is that you can bring live ammo onto a commercial air plane in your checked baggage. So if you get desperate you could deliverer it yourself. YUK YUK
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call this company.
    http://www.lynden.com/

I shipped millions of pounds to Alaska when I had my X-ray equipment business there. Somebody at Lynden will be able to give you a freight forward address that UPS will bring your package to. Lynden will handle it form there. Lynden handled everything from lead-lined drywall to dangerous medical supplies with good service.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated, it might be just as cost effective for the recieving party, to get a reloading press, and dies, and have the components(cases and bullets)sent, and let them get some primer's, and powder there.