In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Vereinsgewehr rifle/musket

junque_yard_dogjunque_yard_dog Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
We have what appears, from my research, to be a Vereinsgewehr rifle/musket made at the Royal Wurttemberg Gun Factory circa 1857 - 1862. The top of the barrel is marked OBERNDORF and on the lock plate it is marked KONG WURT FABRIK.

I cannot find any reference to one being sold anywhere so I am wondering if someone here might be able to give an approx. value. It is in good condition and looks to be shootable.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Bill & Wanda

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality photos for accurate identification and valuation.

Instructions for posting photos at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will post pictures thursday evening
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are the pictures as promised

gun01.JPG
    The yardstick is a 48" to show the size of this gun.
    gun02.JPG
    gun03.JPG
    gun04.JPG
    gun05.JPG
    gun06.JPG
    gun07.JPG
    gun08.JPG
    gun09.JPG
    gun10.JPG
    gun11.JPG
    mark: KONG WURT FABRIK
    gun12.JPG
    mark: OBERNDORF
    gun13.JPG
    gun14.JPG
    gun15.JPG
    pin pricked into the metal is the name W.A. Jennings. I did some research on this. The National Park Service maintains a database of
    Civil War soldiers from both armies. I found reference of 4 soldiers under W.A.Jennings. All served in the confederate army. The person we aquired this from said it was retrieved from a dead confederate soldier and has been in the family ever since.
    gun16.JPG
    gun17.JPG
    gun18.JPG
    gun19.JPG
    gun20.JPG
    gun21.JPG
    gun22.JPG
    this is the only number on the entire gun 201
    gun23.JPG
    gun24.JPG
    this is the only real damage, some new scuffing on the bottom of the stock

Let me know if you need any more information
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the best of my limited knowledge, this is a "Contract Musket," produced for whatever country that wanted to buy them. They are not particularly collectable in the U.S., maybe only to someone who wanted a representative example of muskets used in the Civil War.
    Value: $100 to $250. It is not broken, is complete and in reasonably good condition.
    I paid $50 for one (similar, not identical) two years ago in slightly better condition with a cutoff forestock and no ramrod.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found no record of this model used in the U.S. Civil War, as opposed to the Prussian made Potsdam rifle(s). The Prussian rifles were imported and used by the North in quantity in the early 1860's. Because of this it wouldn't have any interest to a collector of Civil War arms.

A orphan percussion rifle like yours would probably have more value in it's country of origin then here in the U.S. I've never seen or heard of any for sale regionally. Because of this it's hard to assign a value. The best you could hope for is to locate a U.S. collector of European percussion rifles, or hope a European dealer spots it on the auction to sell it in Europe.