In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old-Model Ruger Vaquero convertible?

RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I know that Ruger makes a 357mag/9mm and 45Colt/45ACP convertible New Model Vaquero, but how about the Old Model? I believe that the frames are sized differently between the two models, haven't been able to find any info.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    I know that Ruger makes a 357mag/9mm and 45Colt/45ACP convertible New Model Vaquero, but how about the Old Model? I believe that the frames are sized differently between the two models, haven't been able to find any info.

I think you have it backwards. The New Vaquero is only available in .45 Colt and .357 Magnum calibers. The OLD model had a larger, stronger frame and was available in convertible models.

EDIT: Apparently there is a limited-edition, non-catalogued .45 Colt/.45 ACP model available. However, I saw nothing about a .357/9mm model.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get the new model Vaquero convertible in 45LC/45ACP. I don't see the 357/9mm listed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

I think you have it backwards. The New Vaquero is only available in .45 Colt and .357 Magnum calibers. The OLD model had a larger, stronger frame and was available in convertible models.

EDIT: Apparently there is a limited-edition, non-catalogued .45 Colt/.45 ACP model available. However, I saw nothing about a .357/9mm model.
    Thanks, guy. I did have incorrect info. The 45Colt/45ACP is what I'm concerned with. I suppose the auction side is a good place to look for the 45ACP cylinder? Then Ruger's web site perhaps?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

Thanks, guy. I did have incorrect info. The 45Colt/45ACP is what I'm concerned with. I suppose the auction side is a good place to look for the 45ACP cylinder? Then Ruger's web site perhaps?

Since the New Vaquero convertible is a limited-edition, you may have a hard time finding a lone .45ACP cylinder. You're better off calling Ruger.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a new model Vaquero .45 with both cylinders. I bought it right off the shelf at a local gun store. Didn't know they were lmited production guns, but come to think of it I have not seen many of them since.

[imgJoespictures008.jpg][/img]
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lefty, Your picture shows a Blackhawk, not a Vaquero.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Lefty, Your picture shows a Blackhawk, not a Vaquero.

Yep, definitely not a New Model Vaquero. It also has the old model Vaquero/Blackhawk frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine is also an Old Model. That brings up the question: aren't the Old-Model Vaquero and Old-Model Blackhawk frames the same? That would allow me to use the same cylinder, correct?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine is also an Old Model. That brings up the question: aren't the Old-Model Vaquero and Old-Model Blackhawk frames the same? That would allow me to use the same cylinder, correct?

Yes, same frame and cylinder. The only difference is the Blackhawk has adjustable sights where the Vaquero is fixed.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you can just drop in a new cylinder and be good to go..sometimes not and the gun will have to go to Ruger or a gunsmith to make sure timing is correct.

It can get confusing with the frames. The Old Model Vaquero is just stamped Vaquero. Old Model Blackhawks don't have transfer bar safeties. New Model Blackhaks do and the Old Vaquero does..confused yet[:D] New Vaquero's are built on a smaller frame and some will be marked New Vaquero some of the newer ones now just say Vaquero. Old Model Vaquero's can handle +p .45 Colt loads..the new ones are rated for standard pressure stuff thats suitable for Colt SAA's.[:D]