In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Casting problem

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm casting 1oz slugs using a Lee mould with the center key feature. Half of the slugs have voids in them. I'm using virgin lead and have tried various temperatures (Lee pot settings 6.5 to 9).

There must be some difference between using virgin lead and harder alloys since I can cast heavier bullets with an alloy.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks everyone. I'll add a bit of wheel weight to the mix and smoke the mold (I usually do but skipped it this time). I already tried high temperature but will again.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you pre heated the mold?
    Are the mold vent lines clear?

If you pour the lead at slight angles on the sprue hole it can help push air out.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A very small percentage of tin mixed with the lead is usually recommended. It's been years since I've don any casting. But as I recall a certain percentage of wheel weights or 50/50 solder is melted in the pot with pure lead, so that the bullets will fill out the mold and cast OK.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Pure lead needs both hotter melt temp in the pot and Mold needs to be preheated much hotter also. Turn the heat up on pot than cast and discard the first ten back in the pot as soon as they are poured this will transfer heat to the mould block
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 perryshooter Mold need to be clean, free of oil. If using a ladle pour the full amount over the spru. Pure lead is a lot harder to cast.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Take a kitchen match and light it and smoke up the inside of the mold .

That solved the problem for me .
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    big slugs need hotter temps
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do NOT put zinc in your bullet metal.
    It is one of the most common and nastiest contaminants around.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I use the Lee slug mold quite a bit and it states to USE pure lead. I am not a highly experienced caster like some here, but I use the max heat and dip the corner of the mold in the lead for about 30 seconds (after the match treatment). Never had the non-fill condition, so I can't help there.

Good luck.