In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Targetsman question

claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
This gun was also aquired with the others at the garage sale. It is a Colt Targetsman. Question, will the Woodsman magazines fit it?

[img][/img]ColtAstra001_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]ColtAstra002_1024x768.jpg

And here is another in the lot, rare to me, never seen one before, Astra 3000, .380.
[img][/img]ColtAstra003_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]ColtAstra004_1024x768.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second and 3rd series Woodsman mags, will work. Below is a link to site with excellent information on older Colt 22 mags.

http://www.colt22.com/wmmagazine.html

Check the Astra for W W II German military proof marks. Some few Astra's are found with them. This will increase collector value substantially.

EDIT #1, According to my reference the Germans bought 63,000 Model 300's, .380's from Astra, between 42 & 44. They will be marked with a Waffen Amt acceptance stamp of "WaA251", on the right rear of frame just above the serial number.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember you g-sale finds...sweet Astra 380,,you scored if that was the "junk" you were talking about
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Second and 3rd series Woodsman mags, will work. Below is a link to site with excellent information on older Colt 22 mags.

http://www.colt22.com/wmmagazine.html

Check the Astra for W W II German military proof marks. Some few Astra's are found with them. This will increase collector value substantially.

EDIT #1, According to my reference the Germans bought 63,000 Model 300's, .380's from Astra, between 42 & 44. They will be marked with a Waffen Amt acceptance stamp of "WaA251", on the right rear of frame just above the serial number.

Just checked and there are no markings on the right of the frame. There are 3 stampings on the left side of the frame and they appear to be proof marks.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I guess I am going to wrong garage sales....nothing but junk is what I see...why can't I be blessed like this[:(]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clays

Just checked and there are no markings on the right of the frame. There are 3 stampings on the left side of the frame and they appear to be proof marks.

If the proof marks are of the Spanish commercial type. One of them should be a coded DOM represented by a single capitol letter. If you provide the letter the Astra's DOM, can be ascertained.

EDIT #1, "X" is 1952, according to my reference. Kind of surprising, I didn't believe that Astra made that model as late as the 50's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by clays

If the proof marks are of the Spanish commercial type. One of them should be a coded DOM represented by a single capitol letter. If you provide the letter the Astra's DOM, can be ascertained.

Looks like an X, but here is a pic of the left side markings.
    [img][/img]ColtAstra001_1024x768-1.jpg
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They made them for 10yrs, from '46-56. Here's some info.

In 1946 Astra began making this updated version of the Model 300, with a grip that swelled near the bottom, a pushbutton magazine release just behind the trigger on the left side, and a loaded chamber indicator. The gun was offered in .32 ACP (7 .65mm) and .380 ACP (9mm Kurz). It was discontinued in 1956, with a total production of 44,389. The Model 3000 never achieved the same popularity that had been enjoyed by the Model 300. It was replaced with the Model 4000.
  • Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1