In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping to yourself

onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
My son is considering flying back to Michigan from South Carolina for the Deer season. Can he leagally ship (UPS/FEDX/USPS), his shotgun from South Carolina to "Mom and Dads", address in Michigan,to himself? My understanding is the BATFE would be OK with him shipping to himself but I need to do more research on Michigan and South Carolina regulations. While I do that I was hoping some of the knowledgable people here might already know the answer.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is perfectly fine.

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    Address as "his name" in care of "mom & dad"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by onejaeger
    My son is considering flying back to Michigan from South Carolina for the Deer season. Can he leagally ship (UPS/FEDX/USPS), his shotgun from South Carolina to "Mom and Dads", address in Michigan,to himself? My understanding is the BATFE would be OK with him shipping to himself but I need to do more research on Michigan and South Carolina regulations. While I do that I was hoping some of the knowledgable people here might already know the answer.
    I appreciate the quick response tsr. I do not mean to be a pest but, by perfectly fine do you mean BATFE, Michigan and South Carolina would all be leagal?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    No issues on either end. As Mike said, be sure that he addresses the package to himself and in care of his parents and does not address it to his parents. This sort of thing is actually done quite often.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the quick response tsr. I do not mean to be a pest but, by perfectly fine do you mean BATFE, Michigan and South Carolina would all be leagal?
    I hope that some of the things that I do support responsible gun ownership,our voting choices are often very frustrating. The people on this web site who take their time to help others are certainly a Positive,Congratulations! I hope to be the same. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Mark said- when shipping a firearm TO YOURSELF, there is no transfer of ownership. THAT is where all of the legalities kick in. He can use any of the three shippers you listed for a rifle or shotgun. PLEASE be certain the gun is unloaded, and package should not contain ammo. Nothing on ouside to package to indicate it is a gun, and pack securely.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While he can (as others have said) ship to himself, if he has a good hard case he might also take it on the airplane. Not sure how much the baggage cost would be but it's something to consider. Checked baggage of course, announce it is a firearm at the baggage counter, lock it up.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, make sure to tell Mom and Pop not to open the box. Only you are supposed to do that. And, we assume that you can legally possess the firearm in Michigan.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Once upon a time taking a firearm on an aircraft was pretty standard. The problem now is that many airlines only allow you a single piece of checked baggage and charge you a fee for any additional. This is usually $50 for each piece but some of those carriers hit you for even more. If he can get by with just a carry on and use the gun case as his checked bagged this is workable.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian

Once upon a time taking a firearm on an aircraft was pretty standard. The problem now is that many airlines only allow you a single piece of checked baggage and charge you a fee for any additional. This is usually $50 for each piece but some of those carriers hit you for even more. If he can get by with just a carry on and use the gun case as his checked bagged this is workable.

Yes, gads. In 1965 I was getting on a plane at JFK, and I had a 1917 Enfield that I did not want folded in half by baggage handlers. So I got on the plane with it, handed it to one of the stewardesses, and asked her to stand it in the kitchen. She did, and when we landed in Milwaukee, she handed it back to me as I got off. Those were the days!