In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

uberti yellowboy rear sight question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have a uberti, navy arms 44-40 lever yellowboy. these things have a horrible, inbarrising rear sight! they really dropped the ball on this one. im thinking of blocking the dovetail off and going with a nice tang peep sight? if I do so, do any of you guys know if the factory front sight will be compatible or will I have to replace it also? also, what brand and where to purchase such a sight? thanks

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is you'd need a taller front sight but I've never put a tang sight on one of those rifles. I shot one for several years and loved the rifle and the caliber.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The front sight is a thick blade, attached directly to,the barrel. Not much to alter there . I replaced the rear sight (dovetail ) with a ramp elevation adjustable fiber optic two green dot open sight. From a in line muzzle loader catalog. I then painted just the tip of the front sight white. I originally placed a peep sight on but found the front sight so course and thick as to negate the effect. Also for really good shooting I bought a pair of aperture shooting glasses, these bring the focus of the iron sights into clear image.
    I did not go with the tang aperture sight because the screws did not match up (two)
    And when a tang sight is down it is in my way for wrist around stock and when it is up it snags on things. When it is up I can't get at hammer fast enough. After all thus is a close quarter gun for fast action. The point of impact changes with each shot due to the tube magazine weight changing which is attached to the front of the muzzle.. It's a lever gun not a sharps.