In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 1898 disposal

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
I ended up with a Marlin model 1898 in 12 gauge. The gun is complete, seems to function properly but won't trip the trigger when you pull it (needs to be cleaned I'm guessing). There is no blueing left, butt stock and forend are broke, but other than that it seems complete. I don't want the gun but don't want to just throw it in the garbage either. I also don't want to break it all down and sell it part by part. Thoughts on sending it to Numerich, or someone else, or do you think it would it sell if I made an auction on GB? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course it would sell on the auction side. What makes you think it wouldn't?

If you don't want the "work" of doing a listing, just post it as a give-away on the general discussion board. I'm sure there is someone in your local area who would come and get it.

If no one from the forum is local to you and wants it, stop by any local gun shop, I'm sure they'd accept it.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OF course it would sell on the auction side. Take some good pictures, and start it at 1 penny...$0.01. It most likely has to go to a receiving FFL, as it was most likely not made before 1899, even though it is the model 1898. That starting at 0.01 will tell you exactly what the market demand is.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Endless number of choices! Yes, it will sell on the auction side!
    Donate it to a gunsmith school? Or as previously mentioned, how about a give away on the General side? Someone out there would treasure it, I'm sure!
    Good luck on whatever you decide,
    Ed
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely do an auction, someone will buy it for a parts or project gun, who knows, you may get $50-$75 for it when all is said and done. Selling it to Numrich will probably net you about $4.32 as they are not known for paying a lot for used guns or parts. There is probably someone, somewhere with a 1898 needing parts!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And while it will need to go TO a FFL, that will include holders of an 03 Curio & Relic FFL- that one is over 50 years old, and qualifies. By all means, DO put it up for auction.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have to push a release on the shotgun unless it is the original 1898 that did not have one.

Emmett
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could use the barrel, if you put it up for auction, I'll try to bid.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1898 Marlin "slide action" 12 gauge. Got it at Garage sale for $100.00 took it to Gunsmith who replaced the broken firing pin. Cost was $90.00. I'm very pleased with this hammer 12 gauge. I handload paper hulls/wads for this in bird shot, as well as buck shot. I use Unique powder to keep pressure low. Works just fine. Mine was called a brush or riot shotgun. 26 inch barrel is Improved Cylinder. Gunsmith said these are take-down, but recommended to leave it together. I'd like to go rabbit hunting with it some time I also have buck shot loads ready too....
    ENBLOC