In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta 21A Springs

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone replaced the recoil spring with a lighter one? What was your experience and where did you buy it? Wolff doesn't sell them. Brownells only sells factory springs. Would grinding/stoning the spring a minute amount work?

My pistol only likes CCI Mini Mags, have only 7 left (chamber & magazine), would like to shoot it more but can't find more. Looking at alternatives.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your goal with lighter spring/ Pistols can beat themselves up with to light a spring. I think CCI's Mini Mags are the best. 22's in general are hard to find a reasonable prices. Try and find stuff that isn't bulked packed - loose in the box/can.

Coil springs can be nipped a quarter coil at a time with a really good cutter. Grinding them down works too. Be careful with heat build up, it can soften the spring end - effectively shortening the spring more than the length removed.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If only hot .22's work. Try CCI Velocitors, Aguila Interceptors, or Remington Golden Bullets. Local stores out, you're going to have to try to get them online.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is common for 22lr pistols -- particularly small ones -- to be specific about ammunition, most prefer hotter ammo. Your Beretta was carefully designed for the spring tension it uses. If you weaken it, you can affect stresses on the frame, but the bigger issue will be how it affects recoil and feeding. Remember, the slide is working with a particular tension for the proper ejection of the spent shell casing and the stripping and feeding of the new round; the 21A has no extractor, so ejection is a more careful mechanical dance than pistols with an extractor to assist in ejection.

While local purchase of a particular 22 ammo can be difficult now, it is still available online. Some examples for CCI Mini-mags on the auction side:

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=cci+mini+mags

I've found, with my 21A, that CCI Stingers work best; some of them in the auction:

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=cci+stinger
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Beretta 21 has no extractor, the cartrige extracts because the bullet goes one way and the case goes the other. I have heard that thats why CCI ammo works so well in them. CCI's case is built stronger than the bulk ammo cases. Mine also favors CCI Mini-mag and Stingers but will also function with Agulla SuperExtra ammo. It does'nt like ANY bulk ammo Ive tried so far. The bulk ammo Ive heard will work in it is CCI Blaser, but I cant find any to test it with.