In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK import numbers - resource

762krinkov762krinkov Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello

Does anyone know where I can get solid info on the number of AK type rifles imported into the USA? It can be internet or a book. I am tired of just hearing rumors on import numbers for rare AK variants (Valmet, Steyr Maadi, etc.).

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely it would be a dunting task. Manufacturers and I believe importers, are required to keep serial number records of guns made/imported. But their is no requirement, for them to turn over the specific serial numbers to the feds. Until they go out of business. At that time these become uncollated public records.

To dig through these uncollated records, for every long out of business importer. Who brought in AK's during the 80's, would be time consuming and likely very expensive.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The only way to do this would be to file a request with the BATF, which is now a part of the Department of Justice, using the Freedom of Information Act. You have to be very specific, and cannot simply say that you want to know how many AK type weapons were ever imported. You would need to state the name of the importer (say Interarms), a specific year, the country of origin of the import (say Finland) and they type of firearm. In this case, semi automatic sporting rifle in a military configuration, caliber 7.62mm (which would be a Valmet M62).