In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Western Field 720b EHM. Which scope mounts?

idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Need to remount a scope on one of these. I see there are several Mauser versions. Which version is the 720b so I can order the correct mounts?

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of the Western Field rifles were made by Mossberg. My WF780 is a rebranded Mossberg 800 and my WF732 is a Mossberg 810. I can't locate a conversion chart so I can't say if your rifle is made by Mossberg but it's something to consider.

EDIT: I don't see a 720 listed in a Weaver base chart but the 730 takes the same bases as a Mossberg 810.

EDIT II: The "made in West Germany" marking rules out Mossberg. Even their store brands were marked "made in USA".
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks I'll check that out. However, it is stamped Made in West Germany.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Western Field 720AEHM 30'06 rifle made in "West Germany" by F.W. Heym which is stamped under the barrel hidden by the forend wood. Barrel appears to be chrome lined. The action is an intermediate length large ring commercial (no thumb cut out for stripper clip loading) Mauser 98 action. It came with EAW bases I believe and they looked almost like Weaver bases but weren't. I ended up getting Weaver bases #45 rear and #46 front bases if my memory is correct; and using high Burris Signature rings with the inserts to get enough scope elevation adjustment in order to sight in the rifle.