In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading - 22 "Drop Tube"

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know who sells, or how to make, a clear drop tube for reloading 22 caliber cartridge such as 223, 218 Bee, Hornet, 222 Remington, etc? I use an RCBS measure, they offer a solid steel type and a light green "quick change" type. Neither works well for detecting long grain powder stuck in the neck. The steel for obvious reasons, the quick change doesn't work well because although I can see when (not if, when ..[}:)]) a thrown charge gets stuck, the mouth of the shorter necked cartridges such as 223 don't sit fully against the "funnel" and that allows powder to leak over the side.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the MTM funnel an have no issues with it. Try wiping yours with a dryer sheet to help with static cling. I think you could rig a long drop tube out of some clear type plastic. Perhaps heat a case and shove it in the end for a perfect fit.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might seem like a simplistic answer, but couldn't you switch to a ball/flake type powder and alleviate the problem, say H110 for the Bee and the Hornet and H335 for the .223 and 222? I used to use 4064 in my .223 and it could be a pain. After switching to H335, no more issues!
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fiddled around with some powder funnels, basically cutting and gluing the "funneling" part and exit to a larger caliber RCBS drop tube will work.

I've been reloading 222 Remington for about 45 years and use IMR 4198 and been dealing with spilt powder for the same amount of time. I use the others listed & was actually going to use H322 since I was reloading 223 - but I went with H4198 instead ...... [:(!]

It happens often enough to be a OITA using the IMRs - 4064, 3031, 4895 for example - when reloading anything 25 caliber and below which, as I get older, I'm tending to shoot more and more often.