In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman W6 elevation problems

hackley69hackley69 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Just bought a W6 rear barrel sight. Really nice looking and everything moves fine just when you tighten the knurled nut to lock elevation it won't hold. The slightest pressure with your finger and it drops back down. Anyone ever ran into this before or know what the fix is?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you post a good picture of your sight? The only W6 I can find doesn't have a brass knob. Is this a folding sight, a ladder or a tang.

added: from the book Lyman Centennial Journal 1878-1978 pg 88

"No. 46. Price, $2.50 Elevating Leaf Sight The no 46 elevating leaf sight was described in a flyer issued with the 1910 catalog as follows "This construction allows the use of either of the Lyman Leaf Sight complete (either Leaf or Bar) and as such elevation as suits best. The small Stop screw adjusts for Point Blank. Further elevation is obtained by raising the Slide, pushing forward the Knurled Head Screw, and, by tightening, it is held in position desired. The entire Sight folds down flat on the Rifle." A patent date on the side reads Dec. 10, '07."

I don't think I have ever seen one of these. You might look in the area of the knurled knob to see if it is making good contact on the working surface.
  • hackley69hackley69 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry it'a NO. 46. Nothing on it is brass and I'll try to post some pictures.