In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hastings 870 barrel, No Lines?

bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
Did Hastings make some 870 barrels without lines in the barrel,I thought they all had lines in them?

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't the 'wad lock' to prevent rotation. I think they had made regular smooth bores too.

Added Shot String length can have a large impact on success when shooting moving targets with a moving barrel.

Back when I hunted upland birds I went to #2's. Less pellets in them and almost always a feather marked the location. Made it easy to extract the shot rather than bite on it later.

A2 I had one of those TC in 44 Mag. Rear sight folded down into the rib and the choke/spin canceler screwed into the barrel. It was a very effective single shot firearm. I learned to shoot stuff out of the air with it.

I still use the HotShot capsules in my 45-350 Rem Mag with a plastic 410 wad as a bushing. Patterns very nicely. 9 grouse 7 shots. Lined up 2 pair on the ground, the rest were on the wing.

Capsules are harder to find, I thought I would try and roll crimp cut off paper or plastic 410 cases.
  • bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok Thanks.I think they had 6 lands that keep the shot and wad from spinning.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Straight rifling may prevent the shot spreading out due to non-inertial forces (i.e., centrifugal force) caused by the shot protector wad and shot spinning. Interesting someone was thinking about this effect. Wonder how effective it was and what test studies were performed. Had to have some effect or why manufactured a barrel with straight rifling - reminds one of the single shot pistol which shot 410 shot shells in addition to 45 LC cartridges using a barrel with straight rifling.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    Straight rifling may prevent the shot spreading out due to non-inertial forces (i.e., centrifugal force) caused by the shot protector wad and shot spinning. Interesting someone was thinking about this effect. Wonder how effective it was and what test studies were performed. Had to have some effect or why manufactured a barrel with straight rifling - reminds one of the single shot pistol which shot 410 shot shells in addition to 45 LC cartridges using a barrel with straight rifling.

The Contender 44mag barrel I had also came with a "Hot Shot" (I think...) screw in "choke" that had straight rifling. Since the barrel was rifled normally, and it is/was verboten to shoot a normal 44 mag/spl load with the choke in place, I assume it was to stop the rotation created by the rifling in the main part of the barrel.