In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Registered cane/rifle

JoePOregonJoePOregon Member Posts: 4
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
Photos are of a sinister looking walking cane/rifle that was in my deceased father's WW II souvenir collection. It is the length and look of a walking cane, with a rifled barrel; not sure of the caliber. Note the marking "IRS 4048" on the cane. I presume my father registered this weapon with the IRS. Can it be sold? If so, how is the registration handled?

DLFD78.jpg
DRaEJM.jpg
9YyQzL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If the original registration cannot be located in your fathers effects, the executor of the estate (and only the executor) can request that the BATF perform a search for the registration. Because there is an IRS number, registration probably took place in the 1950's or early 1960s, and before the November 1968 amnesty. Once registration is established, the weapon (and all National Firearms Act items are considered to be weapons), can be transferred to any lawful purchaser upon completion of ATF Form 4. Cane Guns are classified as Any Other Weapons, so the transfer tax would be $5.

I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, but let us know how this sorts itself out.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Flayderman's Guide", the bible for collectors of American antique firearms. Has a section on Remington Rifle Cane's. Both percussion and cartridge.

According to Flayderman. They are no longer considered as NFA weapons. But as antiques. And therefore not subject to gun control act regulations.

Be advised, gun laws in some liberal states and cities. Are much harshly enforced, and interpreted. Then those enforced by the feds. Be sure you have all your ducks in a row. Before displaying it in public, or selling it.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While REMINGTON cane guns may be taken off the NFA list, I would certainly contact ATF about this one. All cane guns are not considered antiques, not have they been removed from the purview of the NFA.