In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

thompson m1a1 ser# question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have a few Thompson m1a1 kits and noticed a couple didn't have ser#'s on the lower receiver. was wondering if this was a common practice either early or late war with these guns? thanks

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disclaimer- am NOT an expert on these- can only recall seeing SN on L side, upper, right under the rear sight.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC, all M1A1's had the number on the top half. [That's the 1 piece that is flame cut into 3 hunks of steel.]

You are looking at a trigger housing.[;)]

""The M1A1 was simplified production version of the original Model 1928 Thompson SMG, intended for wartime production, making it easier and cheaper to manufacture. This version eliminated the barrel cooling fins, Cutt's compensator, adjustable rear sight and removable butt stock found on the earlier pre-war models. This example has the fixed rear sight, horizontal forearm, fixed butt stock and side-mounted cocking handle. The left side of the receiver is marked "THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN/CALIBER 45 M1/A1/NO. 432620" in three lines below the rear sight. The right rear of the receiver is marked "AUTO ORDNANCE CORPORATION/BRIDGEPORT CONNECTICUT U.S.A." in two lines. "US PROPERTY" is stamped on the top rear of the receiver behind the rear sight protector. The lower trigger housing and butt stock group is correctly marked with the "AUTO/SINGLE" and "FIRE/SAFE" markings. ""
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my Uncle Charlie, there is room for 2 bucker plates - it will speed up the cyclic rate of fire. From my dad, the only way to hold it down is to unhook the rear part of the sling - lengthen it out and step on it.

I like them just fine at the range, not so much packing it around. Way nicer fit and finish that the M-3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun

US Steel!

5ef807e8bdfd4335ca53c152e0d42a55--enfield-motorcycle-norton-motorcycle.jpg?b=t