In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9x18 cartridge exchange?

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
can a 380 be used in replacement of a 9x18? my CZ is a 9x18...

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, the .380 is a 9X17. I tried to get a picture of the 9X17, 9X18 & 9X19 side by side but it won't paste. See if you can find it on-line & you will easily see they are not interchangeable.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9x18 is a chicom/Russian cartridge that is unlike any other of the 9mm's.
    The bullet [and hence the case] is fatter at .365" vs. .355 of the others.

Just like the .38 S&W is fatter than the .38 Special.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    9?18mm Makarov shooting 9mmKurtz (380) www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_wBP3l

Do it only if there is no more ammo left in the world for your gun.
    [xx(][xx(][xx(]

thumb_it-must-be-true-because-i-san-it-on-the-8799343.png
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years back, when I owned a Hungarian Mak. For S & G, fired .380 ammo in it. Worked fine, was really surprised. As I figured the cases would split. Nothing of the sort happened . The brass didn't appear swelled out, or anything. Seemed that, it could be easily resized and reloaded, YMMV. Be advised. I am not advocating, you firing .380 in a 9.3 Mak. Only I did in mine, without any negative results.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys?.I ordered a 1000 rnds of 9x18 Makarov...
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Thanks guys?.I ordered a 1000 rnds of 9x18 Makarov...

Good.

Was once at an indoor range shooting my 9x18. The guy next to me was shooting the same gun but with .380 ammo. Heard some comments. Caught up with him in the store portion of the shop/range. I showed him some casings of his .380 and pointed out the splits and dark powder burns. He told me he was taking his pistol to the sandbox and that his father was a cop who told him that .380 would work just fine. I reminded him of his cursing over a couple of misfires and showed him my unsplit casings (factory ammo). The gun store owner concurred with me that he should only be using 9x18 Mak ammo. After determining that the store didn't sell 9x18 and with the consent of the store, I sold the guy a box of 9x18 HPs at my cost since he was in the service. I had recently purchased 1,000 rounds and could spare it.

Update: Hope you ordered non-steel cased and non-steel bullet ammo. Ranges hate the damagesteel causes to their backstops.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firing the .380 ACP cartridge in a 9x18 chamber should be avoided - ignition/velocity/accuracy are erratic, & the brass swells to the point of destruction.

The Mak case finishes @ .705" OAL, but is a straight-walled configuration - it has no body taper.
    However, the 9mm Luger & 9mm MAK rim dimensions are almost identical.
    Before the flood of common 9x18mm surplus ball ammo arrived in the early-mid-90s, we'd cut-down common 9mm Luger cases to reload them using cast 95-100gr RNs sized to .363"-.365". It was a simple conversion: just shorten the case & bell the mouth w/ a custom 9 Mak expander.
    Starting load data was very close to that for the .380 ACP.
    babun wrote:
    9x18 is a chicom/Russian cartridge that is unlike any other of the 9mm's.
    The bullet [and hence the case] is fatter at .365" vs. .355 of the others.
  • Options
    0rangeD0rangeD Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    You can get away with a lot in a blowback gun, doesn't mean that it's a good idea.