In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin Bolt Won?t Come Apart

RelicDougRelicDoug Member Posts: 13
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
It?s just the housing of the firing pin and spring that I?m having trouble getting to. I?ve tried disassembly through unscrewing the firing pin, twisting the cocking piece, etc. but to no avail. The bolt just keeps rotating around every time I try to disassemble it - no unscrewing is taking place. I put it in a Tupperware full of Kroil and leaving it overnight in hopes of trying to fix the problem, but is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Copy and paste this whole web address to your browser. It's a web address, within a web address, so that's the only way I can get it to work. It's a detailed pictorial on how to dis-assemble/re-assemble the bolt, and set the firing pin protrusion with the Mosin multi tool.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100831064647/http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/boltdisassembly/index.asp
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I copied the instructions & posted them here but I am concerned about copywrite laws. You can find instructions in "Small Arms of the World" by W H B Smith or revised editions by E C Ezell. The original book my be titled "All the World's Arms". Your library may have copies but as expensive as they are they are worth it. I never could have gotten the bolt out of my Krag or taken it apart or gotten it back together without this book.

I was surprised to find used hardcover copies on Amazon for under $8 including tax & shipping.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    awesome link Trap55, I downloaded the info, just in case I come across one.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie, There's a whole bunch of those for milsurp firearms that Jamie Mangrum did on the Surplus Rifle forum. When he got cancer, Tennessee Gunworks bought the rights, then folded up. Thankfully someone saved them to the wayback machine archives. I got the DVD's before all that happened.
    Use the link I posted for a bookmark. Then when that webpage opens, there's links to stuff on the rifle or pistol in the Right hand column, and links to all the other guns he did in the Left hand column.
  • Options
    RelicDougRelicDoug Member Posts: 13
    edited November -1
    I FIXED IT! [:D]Soaked it in kroil overnight and twisted the stink outta the firing pin and eventually it gave. The sheer force of my unscrewing twisted the firing pin. I was, however, able to hammer it back into place. I was then able to thoroughly clean the pin and spring. [^]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have seen old timers put parts in a ziplock bag and freeze them - let them thaw - freeze again...

They claimed the thermal cycle and expansion / contraction aspect would often do the trick

Throwing it in a ziplock and putting it in a vibratory / case tumbler also sometimes can work

Mike