In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weaver scope rings

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between Weaver 1 inch scope rings that fit up to 38mm objective & the 1 inch that fit up to 40mm objective?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they made 3 heights of rings. Standard, medium and high. Generally the larger that bell on the front of the scope the taller the rings need to be. You do not want the scope touching the barrel. Interference from a rear sight might be an issue too - requiring removal or taller rings.

added IIRC there was always some gap. I had a buddy that bought and mounted like 3 different scopes. Each time he swore the scope were bad because the adjustments on paper were inconsistent. So it turns out he was really over torquing down the screws and binding the scope guts.
  • Options
    briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reason for wondering is that I use 4 power weaver scopes (the old steel tubes) & I use the standard weaver rings. Some of the rings tighten down all or most of the way. Alot of the rings have a decent size gap between the top piece & bottom piece leaving alot of screw threads exposed in the gap.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I think they made 3 heights of rings. Standard, medium and high. Generally the larger that bell on the front of the scope the taller the rings need to be. You do not want the scope touching the barrel. Interference from a rear sight might be an issue too - requiring removal or taller rings.

+1

You want a scope as close to the bore centerline as possible.
    BUT size of front bell, shape of rifle barrel, iron sites, ect,ect,
    make the rings needed to be different heights.
    Your gap between ring halves is just a stack up of tolerances.
    "big" scope tube and small ring machining makes for the gaps.

I try to slowly tighten the screws evenly to make the gap the same on
    both sides.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by briguy
    My reason for wondering is that I use 4 power weaver scopes (the old steel tubes) & I use the standard weaver rings. Some of the rings tighten down all or most of the way. Alot of the rings have a decent size gap between the top piece & bottom piece leaving alot of screw threads exposed in the gap.

Only way that I could see this happening. If you have the older, smaller diameter rings. Back years ago, before 1" became the defacto standard diameter for scope tubes. Scopes with 3/4 and 7/8 diameter tubes were made.

The 7/8 rings, if that indeed is what you have? Would cause the gap you note. As long as the scope is cinched down tight and can't move under recoil. Don't believe it will be problematic.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's always a gap between the flats of the top halves and bottom bases where the screws thread in unless you tighten them too much which leads to compression marks and scratches on the scope tube even the older Weaver steel tubes. Too tight also deforms the top rings' flats and possibly takes out some of their springiness - the tops usually snap over the scope tube. If the top rings' flats are in good shape, just snug up the screws evenly and securely by hand - not too tight. Weaver Scope Ring Motto "Compress/Scratch all Scope Tubes Equally - Some More than Others". I try to avoid them.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    There's always a gap between the flats of the top halves and bottom bases where the screws thread in unless you tighten them too much which leads to compression marks and scratches on the scope tube even the older Weaver steel tubes. Too tight also deforms the top rings' flats and possibly takes out some of their springiness - the tops usually snap over the scope tube. If the top rings' flats are in good shape, just snug up the screws evenly and securely by hand - not too tight. Weaver Scope Ring Motto "Compress/Scratch all Scope Tubes Equally - Some More than Others". I try to avoid them.

It appears you are thinking that the 38-40mm is the dia inside the rings. this mm has to do with the average height of the front obj of the scope as their rings are low, med, high and extra high so the obj of the scope will not touch the top of the barrel when the scope is mounted You can find a chart on-line that gives the H of the rings from the rings base to the bottom of the scope to see the difference in the MM height of their rings.

I've seen quite a few scopes ruined by those clamp type weaver rings that you mention from the clamp screws being tightened down too tight and bending the scope tube. It's common for some of the ring clamps of different years of make to have threads showing and the clamp ends to not be all the way down. Just get them snug and I use a piece of paper wrapped around the scope to reduce chance of scarring the scope tube when installing the clamp onto the tube. I do not use the ring clamp on nice scopes due to scoring/distorting of the scope tube. The Weaver Quad loc type rings are a better option if you want to use the lower priced Weaver rings. Weaver rings are ok when being installed/used by someone familiar with how to install them correctly.

What you have to keep a heads up for are the words WEATVER STYLE bases or rings. This usually indicates CHEAPO CHINA made junk and really gives Weaver a bad name. People think they are buying Weaver products due to the Weaver style name.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every manufacturer, Weaver, Leupold, Burris, Warn, etc, has different height levels to commonly clear the objective lens to the barrel...all within a specific scope main tube diameter. The Weaver Low's will clear a 38mm objective lens bell, the Medium, a 40mm, and the Highs, a 44mm...then to X-High for a 50mm.