In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping?

0rangeD0rangeD Member Posts: 116
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
I bought a gun, had it shipped to an FFL and transferred to me. Afterwards I discovered some serious issues with it and returned it. I have now purchased it again at a lower price and was wondering if it could legally be shipped directly to me. It's going to be sent to an FFL but I would like to know.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good question. In the past. I've had my handgun directly returned to me, that have been worked on. By a out of state gunsmith.

As long as your the legal owner. And had it in your possession previously. Don't see how it would be any different, from the above.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe so.

An individual may ship a firearm in interstate commerce to a licensee for repair or customizing, & have it returned directly to him. The situation you describe does not meet this definition.

See ATF P5300.4, page 123.

If you are talking about a "handgun", the legal procedure would require shipping by UPS or Fedex Next Day Air, which is very expensive.

Neal

EDIT: Yes, I am sure. Both carriers have their "Tariff" on their websites. Some businesses have negotiated second day air & other means of shipping, but us common folk are restricted to Next Day Air for handguns. You could lie to USPS or UPS or Fedex, & declare your package contents as "machine parts"; personally, I hate prison food, so I would never do that.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    common carriers, FedEx for sure, have company policies requiring second day air for handguns. ffl dealers can ship them by U S Postal Service at a much cheaper rate. Unlicensed individuals can ship long guns by USPS to an ffl dealer. Unfortunately some postal clerks do not know the postal regulation and will refuse to accept a long gun from an unlicensed individual. This topic has been hashed out many times on this and other forums.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you returned it your FFL entered it into his bound book and you don't own it anymore

You returned it and got a refund - you nullified the sale

After that it's start from scratch like with any other purchase

Mike
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Mike said. Two separate transactions.