In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How can you tell if powder is bad

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
??????????????????????? I also posted this in the reloading forum. Oak

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder has an indefinite shelf life IF STORED PROPERLY. Bad powder will have an off odor maybe a bit like vinegar. It may also look some what powdery and even appear moist. Your nose can tell a lot. Good powder has the smell of solvents (acetone I think) that is used to remove the liquids used in manufacture. While bad powder may not be dangerous it COULD be. Mostly shooting bad powders will be very erratic and might not ignite, that will leave a gummy mess in the bore with wet cases full of gunk.

I am still shooting ammo I loaded in the 1980's with surplus WWII 4831. It was good when I loaded it and still shoots fine and dandy.

Reloading, like flying is safe and well understood. it is also unforgiving. If you see or smell differences in the suspect powder be safe and pour it into your flower beds.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smell it and look at it. If it has a smell like vinegar, stop. If the appearance- color/ texture- is different from a sample of a new, like product- stop. If the powder has clumps- stop.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you. Oakie