In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

browning auto 5 magnum ?

varian1varian1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Ask the Experts
bought my first ever browning auto 5 magnum the other day, beautiful gun made in 1972. my question is what constitutes a magnum load where all the friction pieces are used. like most people 95% of my shooting is with lighter target and field loads and i tested the a5 with these loads. but at what point should i install all the friction pieces. i have shells with 1 1/4 oz shot and 3 3/4 dr eq but the box says heavy field loads not magnum. i know marketing gets to make up the names for guns and shells but as i stated,at about what point should i consider putting all the rings in to protect the gun. thanks all

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 1/4 oz. and 3 3/4 DE is my standard load for 2 3/4" shells, I think back in old days this labeled short mags.

I would consult the operating manual. If you set it for to heavy a load it just doesn't function correctly, set for to light a load it hammers the guts and will beat it to pieces sooner.

https://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/owners-manuals/auto5-mag-2up-s.pdf
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep this in mind also.

I leave my A5 Magnum rings set for Magnum most all time and use the gun as a bolt action single shot when using 2 3/4 light loads. (make the first shot count) Gun works great when using 3 inch magnum loads, but is iffy cycling when the rings are set to 2 3/4 lighter loads with some light load shells not autoloading but if set for magnum I know that it's a bolt action if shooting light loads.

The A5 MAGNUM is actually made for 3 inch magnum loads and will work great when using such, but will be erratic autoloading when using 2 3/4 inch shot shells. Do mess around and loose or misplace any of the friction rings. My A5's have a guide friction ring paper glued into the forearm for immediate reference guide in friction ring arrangement.

I have a Belgium made and a Japan made and both operate mechanically the same. (the Japan functions as well as the Belgium made one)

The Belgium made is now a Safe Queen.

Still struggling with having to try and reply to a post and having to constantly log in. :oops: :cry: