In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Not Too Bad for an Old Dude -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
Came home this evening, weather pretty nice for a change. Busted out the new chainsaw, (second use.) Went to town with it. I have about 13 downed trees on my back slope, since early Summer/Fall from the Power Co. dropping a large amount of trees off my back deck.

Concentrated on the dryer 3-5 inch stuff, although I was cutting quite a bit of 8-14 inch stuff as well. White/Red Oak, Locust, Beech, Birch, etc. Got a crapload cut up. Carried in about 15 loads. I estimate that I brought in about 700-900lbs of ready to go firewood (the smaller 3-5" stuff.) and stacked it in my off corner, ready to go.

It is supposed to get nasty here again, in the next few days. Firewood ready to go, is a bonus.
(Yes, I have a stash of very dry wood already inside, and some in the basement as well.)

Just getting prepped.

I feel good about my evenings work, and productivity.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good! Red oak and locust, hard to beat that and you cannot beat locust.
    I am not far away here in the NC mountains west of Asheville.

Now, about 20 years ago the blight hit and killed all the locusts. I have burned many a load of locust but now, after 20 years, even the locusts are starting to rot so I don't cut them any more.

Are your locust rotten?
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are your locust rotten?
    Yes but that?s probably cause he eats a lot of Taco Bell. :D:mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Locusts are still thriving here. We have not had a blight. I have quite a few (8-12") to take down still.

Ricci, Please- Seek Help.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,648 ******
    edited November -1
    Hope you didn?t cut up any highly valuable black walnut.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1x0tGMal.jpg

No, leave the black walnuts to me. Here I am whacking a * walnut to make my summerbeam. The slabs went in to the wood stove.
    I have burned tons of this stuff it burns pretty good, but, of course, not as good as red oak and not nearly as good as locust.

So y'all don't have the blight up there. Well you are not far away. All my locusts and I owned hundreds of 'em, died 20 years ago. I have looked up the blight but have found nothing.

Anyway keep up the good work that locust is great firewood.

I will say that, I whacked lots of locusts, 8 and 10 inch stuff, when I was building my log cabin 22 years ago. And despite the blight, little sprouts come out of those trunks every year.

And I go around clearing the land, I whack a bunch of small trees and brush etc with the chain saw. And I toss the sticks off the mountain, maple, nothing.
    Poplar, nothing. LOCUST!! Two thorns in the hand, damn thorn about 3/4 inch long. Those small locust have some nasty thorns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I5QrjsRl.jpg

Summerbeam on duty. The kingpost is also black walnut. I got hundreds of these trees. These B*$#***!!! killed my garden, so, they got to go!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,648 ******
    edited November -1
    I am cutting and burning locust that was blown over during Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Sure is hard on chains.
    You can cut a live locust tree and new ones will sprout from the roots.
    Before the advent of roof bolting in coal mines, locust poles were used to support the top (ceiling).
    Speaking of logs...(I have not had to re-log in for quite some time. Is it fixed?)
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW..always wanted a log style home ...neat.... gave up fighting gas chainsaws years ago and when i built up a bucket truck i went to all electric...just squeeze the little thingy and the chain goes around ...eeeeeeasy....elec from pole saw to 18"..all of em.....
  • Options
    ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Hope you didn?t cut up any highly valuable black walnut.

Hmmm,how valuable? I have over 200 black walnut trees.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Quote: "Speaking of logs...(I have not had to re-log in for quite some time. Is it fixed?)"

MY mind must be in the gutter today! An old joke about how far's the old log Inn kind of perked me up some. :lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brought in about 4-5 more loads, when I got home this evening, before the heavy rains set in over the next several days. (Soon to be followed by snow.) Got all the rest I cut, up off the ground and quite a bit in to my Garage.

Inside wood pile (and outside wood pile) looks good for now. :D