In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun stock wax ?

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I have a old 03 Springfield stock that i cant find a hand guard that will match because it is so dark and has like a wax on it.I tried to clean it but no luck.How or what could i use to darken the hand guard ?

Comments

• Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what i have always done is use a dark wood stain with a tint similar to the darkened wood.
    (some may have a reddish tint, others some other color, dark walnut has always served well for most )
    use "gently", small amount on the cloth you apply with, almost dry so color barely transfers to the wood until the color you need is reached.
    in severe cases, such as oil stained wood around receivers i have even gone so far as to use black ink !
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not be able to stain if the wood has a protective finish. It must be removed.

If you are having difficulty removing the finish, its more than likely an oil such as linseed, tung or could even be some type of poly. I always try either acetone first, then lacquer thinner or a commercial stripper.

Use cheesecloth saturated with the above chemicals and try a small sample on an unseen part of the wood.

You can also find a NOS handguard and stain to match. CMP is a place to start.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possible that it's old, dried cosmoline. Full-strength Simple Green, and a toothbrush, work great on removing it. Even better if you can give it a few quick passes with a heat gun.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.