In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone here ever see the black dog?

DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
There are numerous documented cases, not of different people having the same hallucination at the same time for the same reason (such as a mirage caused by heat rising off the desert floor), but of different people having the same hallucination at different times and in different locations but for the same reason.

More than once while driving exhausted on dark, lonely straight roads late at night I have had the hallucination of a black dog running alongside my car, as if chasing me. Of course the hallucination is absurd; but it turns out that this same hallucination is a common one, especially among long-distance truckers who drive fatigued, to point that if a trucker says he "saw the black dog", other truckers know he meant that he was driving while dangerously overtired.

My question: How is it that separate minds under same circumstance (extreme fatigue while driving) but at different times and in different places experience the very same hallucination? And why always a black dog and not a white one, or a zebra, or simply nothing at all?

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always heard around here it was a * cat.......maybe it's a regional thing (animal) :?:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a new one on me. Interesting. All accounts I've heard or read about, even those in Europe, have involved a black dog, predominantly a Doberman.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ...maybe we are created more equal than some think,,,
    edited November -1
    That's a new one on me. Interesting. All accounts I've heard or read about, even those in Europe, have involved a black dog, predominantly a Doberman.

Maybe in this area it goes back for years because we do have real Black Panthers that prowl around late at night in this area, (not speaking of the anti-white Black Panthers political thugs :twisted: though I'm sure they're around too)

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forget which sound track "X-Files" or "Twin Peaks" where there is a song "The Black Dog Runs At Night". It seems it was from "Fire Walk With Me" sound track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WxgfWJ7ac

Never knew what that was about. Then again it's David Lynch. I also remember there was a movie titled "Black Dog" it seems it's a Swayze movie (IMDB-ed it) which I never seen was about a trucker killing some folks. So the sleepy bit sounds right.

Back when I used to make Seattle runs after working a 8 hour shift had made me a bit punchy somewhere in Oregon. I do remember nodding off and waking up still on the road more than once. And while napping on the rest stop I woke up more than once panic stepping on the brake pedal. That'll get your heart going.
  • ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
    edited November -1
    Possibly the same chemical release that effects the brain when you have a lucid dream happens also when over fatigued or sleep deprived? Maybe similar to the effects of DMT or Ayahuasca?
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    I see dumb people.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only once non intoxicated coming home from the kentucky derby. I was driving and slammed on the brakes in front of the hummer factory . It indeed was an elephant. Friend in front seat freaked out and drove the rest of the way..
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is a common hallucination that correlates with a certain condition, it is not a stretch to think that those who are aware of this hallucination may see it when experiencing that condition.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Yahoo! answers:
    Medically, the electronics in a human body (known as nerves) from consistent, intense use (night driving) which operate the human eyes begin to fail. They conduct "vision" through rods and cones making up eyes. As the nerves mis-fire signals, the "only" vision is black. As this happens in micro-seconds, the "black" appears to move as a cone, rod, cone, rod, etc miss a signal in succession. This is resulting in something, the size of a medium animal, in black, moving quickly and disappearing. AKA Black Dog.
    Jym B ? 4 years ago
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I have never seen one or heard of this before. Interesting. The wikipedia entry on "Black Dog" was an interesting read.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    From Yahoo! answers:
    Medically, the electronics in a human body (known as nerves) from consistent, intense use (night driving) which operate the human eyes begin to fail. They conduct "vision" through rods and cones making up eyes. As the nerves mis-fire signals, the "only" vision is black. As this happens in micro-seconds, the "black" appears to move as a cone, rod, cone, rod, etc miss a signal in succession. This is resulting in something, the size of a medium animal, in black, moving quickly and disappearing. AKA Black Dog.
    Jym B ? 4 years ago

This reminds me of Wordsworth's Pantisocracy dinner toast "Confusion to the memory of Newton!" for science having reduced the beauty of the rainbow to a prism. Do you also fart in church, Henry?
    edited November -1
    Is this a racist hallucination ?......................... :lol:

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not me, I am a cat guy.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This reminds me of Wordsworth's Pantisocracy dinner toast "Confusion to the memory of Newton!" for science having reduced the beauty of the rainbow to a prism. Do you also fart in church, Henry?

No idea what you're talking about it. I ran a search to see if anyone else had asked the question or had an answer.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hallucinations?
    Roll with it till.......
    qqgZHHk.jpg
    edited November -1

No idea what you're talking about it. I ran a search to see if anyone else had asked the question or had an answer.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I only meant to say that the appeal and mystery of the "common hallucination" I was referring to loses a lot of its appeal and sense of mystery when explained in terms of eye physiology. Makes sense, and I very much appreciated your reply.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That reminds me in the Art Bell realm I wonder if Black Dogs are related to "shadow People/Creatures"?