In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1891 Argentine Mauser marking E.N.?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited March 2019 in Ask the Experts
I removed the ejector body from my 1891 Argentine Mauser. Hidden under this ejector box are the initials E.N. stamped into the rcvr. I'd guess this was an inspector, or perhaps Argentine Navy? I dunno for sure. Would any Experts out there know for sure? Ejector, box, & pin are now all put back onto Rifle. Could only see E.N. once this was taken off for cleaning.
Thx,
ENBLOC

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E N = Ejercito Nacional, which confirms it was Argentine issued.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would endorse these statements, except...

Many of these contract guns ended up in the Orange Free State amongst the Boers and voertrekkers - ones meant for Argentina and stamped or crested accordingly

However I know of zero cases were they were not retarded or remarked or personalized to reflect their OVS status after successfully being snuggled or trafficked into south Africa

They might have been some shipments that were intercepted by opposition forces or international authorities

And anecdotaly it's unclear whether these guns went through or transited Argentina and we're arsenal inspected (my personal belief) or if such markings were falsified and spuriously applied somewhere else to hide there true origins

Mike
    edited November -1
    Mike, it's my understanding that the EN wasn't stamped until Argentina accepted them into their arsenal and service. Now I know there was all kinds of super secret smuggling to the Boers, are you saying Argentina was shipping '91's, with their markings?
    Please expound, and while you're at it, please do a write up here, or in GD on the OVS rifles, you have a lot of good data!
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Belgian made 1891 Mauser's from FN specifically designated as contracted for and shipped to Argentina end up amongst the citizen cavalry militia of the OVS.

A few thousand here or there from contract orders to 3 different countries ended up being used by the Boers and Voertrekkers against the British with astonishing skill.

I have never found a straight answer as to how those arms ended up at the bottom of the dark continent - some sanitized of crests and proofs - some seeming to have gone through acceptance and inspection in Argentina

I suspect Argentina was complicit - they certainly had no love for the British and we're aligned with axis powers not allied powers - but it's anecdotal and not supported by forensic evidence.

Certainly the Belgians were in on it - had to know about it IMHO

I think a number of countries happily lent covert support - money - advisory personal and arms while not out of love for the nascent OVS that out of spite to cause the Brit's trouble and cause them to expend blood and treasure and promote a decline of influence and empire.
    There are a number of experts on other boards who violently refute my position.

One of my great regrets from the implosion and piracy of Mauser Central is the loss of much of my research on the subject - I thought the data would live forever but now I suspect it's lost for all time.

And I hear and appreciate your respect - you and Mark both always supported my research when others tore it down.

Mike
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You for this info. Rifle serial # starts with Prefix R3xxx. When was it mfg.?
    Regards,
    ENBLOC
    edited November -1
    1899, and that would make it a long rifle made by DWM.