Manafort and Prison

BarzilliaBarzillia Member Posts: 21,847 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in Politics
Forty seven months for bank and mail fraud.

Can't really feel sorry for the man.

Next court date next week with SDNY.

We'll see !
"Anger has two children -.hope, and courage." Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
sondern die geschrieben sind in dem Lebensbuch des Lammes."

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't really feel sorry for him either. That being said, I think our sentencing guidelines are a little screwy. For what is basically a white collar crime he could have been sentenced for more than some violent crime offenders. Bob
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,900 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barzillia wrote:
    Forty seven months for bank and mail fraud.

Can't really feel sorry for the man.

Next court date next week with SDNY.

We'll see !

When big FED comes ahknockin' and they have painted a bullseye on your *, you are toast, they WILL find something. This SPECIAL COUNSEL is supposed to be investigating a CRIME. What crime was being investigated? Collusion? What the hell is that? Going fishing with unlimited money and dynamite will get you fish but it is a rotten way to run a Justice system.

If you do enough snooping into anyone's background you will find something. According to the reports I heard Americans commit 300 crimes a day in going about their daily lives. SDNY is a cesspool of (D) agenda driven corruption. I trust them as much as I trust Hillary Clinton with classified documents.

I just got my bill from the IRS for the legit deduction of ALL of my documented business miles for 2014. No matter what I gave to them nothing mattered. I had a bullseye on my * and they used the power of the gun to extort $4,500 out of me. When talking to the TAX PAYER ADVOCACY CENTER the guy told me it did not matter what proof I had, they would deny it. Tax court is the ONLY option, well 10K later for a lawyer I was still gonna lose.

I deeply detest what this nation has become.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't feel sorry for the guy BUT....it is clear that without the vendetta against Trump he would never have been investigated or found guilty, so since the great fishing trip by the scum of DC is the only thing that tripped him up I am glad he got off light.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • BarzilliaBarzillia Member Posts: 21,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://i.redd.it/g0ovwbk5q8411.jpg

Never found guilty ?

That is a bit of a stretch.

And looking into what was going on during 144 days that was raising alarms across the Western world, is hardly a vendetta.

That's what the counter intelligence function of the FBI does.

But believe as you want.

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,715 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "And looking into what was going on during 144 days that was raising alarms across the Western world, is hardly a vendetta"

What did I miss ? The so called collusion investigation against Trump has been going on a lot longer than 144 days, and if this investigation of Trump isn't a vendetta then it sure walks, talks, and looks like one, so I think I will approve of using that term.

Or are we discussing a whole different investigation ? because Manafort is one of the biproducts of trying to pin something , anything , against Trump. An investigation that has taken closer to 2 years, at a cost of millions of dollars, and has not produced anything close to what its purpose was originally stated.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    and it will keep going until McCarthy Mueller finds something ---ANYTHING---he can pin on Trump.......hopefully T will win the next election but this will only get worse and stretched to the ends till investigators round up Trumps kindergarten class and try to prove he hogged his milk and cookies ...AMERICA needs to be DONE with this farce
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,925
    edited November -1
    Manafort just received more prison time, 3.5 years to be exact. He didn't lie enough or wasn't convincing enough?
    Video breaks it all down. WAIT, he got credit for time served. whee_wee.gif BUT, he also didn't "suck up" enough to the Judge.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/paul-manafort-sentenced-on-foreign-lobbying-and-witness-tampering-charges
    edited November -1
    Judge Amy Berman Jackson said Manafort's argument about the Russia investigation wouldn't affect her sentence, and called out the defense's memo, which stated that the special counsel was never able to charge Russian collusion .

"It's hard to understand why an attorney would write that," she said about Manafort's defense team's approach. "No collusion" is "simply a non-sequitur."

"The defendant's insistence" that this shouldn't have happened to him "is just one more thing that's inconsistent with the notion of any genuine acceptance of responsibility," Jackson said.

Judge Jackson corrected statements made about Paul Manafort's solitary confinement, which was a majort feature of his allocution.

She also said he was in jail not for violating the gag order, but because he broke the bail by breaking the law after his arrest.

Jackson reminded those present for the record that he was first sent to Northern Neck Regional Jail, saying she was concerned about how far that jail was, but then Manafort's team asked for that location. Then he was moved to Alexandria because of their complaints.

She said Manafort "realized the tactic had backfired immediately." He was in a self-contained ("VIP") suite in Northern Neck, Jackson added.

She went on to say that Manafort believed he had the right to manipulate the court proceedings and that he's made overblown statements about where he was housed in jail when it was his benefit to do so.

"I'm not going to split hairs over whether the word solitary was accurate because he had a room of his own," Jackson said.

"It was this disingenuous by the part of the defense and repeated the term over and over ... for public sympathy ."

Judge Jackson also took issue with one of the points noted by Manafort's lawyer Kevin Downing.

Citing Downing's words ? that but for the special counsel, Manafort wouldn't have been charged in the first place ? Jackson said, "Saying 'I'm sorry I got caught' is not an inspiring plea for leniency."

"Court is one of those places where facts still matter," Jackson said.

She said Manafort has attempted to "minimize his conduct and shield others."

Seven and one half years worth of criminality and buffonery.

Then come the state charges.

Which one of you will support a pardon or commutation for the man ?

We'll see !

edited November -1
    Why is knowing what the judges in a matter actually said, important ?

Because if you do not know, you will have no idea when you are being lied to.

And you will dance to the music being played.

(CNN) Following Paul Manafort's second sentencing, his lead attorney Kevin Downing claimed that Judge Amy Berman Jackson "conceded that there was absolutely no evidence of any Russian collusion in this case."

"So that makes two courts," Downing continued. "Two courts have ruled no evidence of any collusion with the Russians."

Facts First: Neither of the judges ruled on anything relating to collusion. And neither of the judges offered any conclusions about whether there was collusion with Russia in the 2016 campaign.

In fact, some hecklers noticed this misstatement during Downing's press conference and fact-checked him on the spot. One heckler called Downing a liar, repeatedly shouting "that's not what she said!" in reference to the judge.

President Donald Trump made a similar claim after Manafort's first sentencing in Virginia.
    "Both the Judge and the lawyer in the Paul Manafort case stated loudly and for the world to hear that there was NO COLLUSION with Russia," Trump misleadingly tweeted Friday.

The President expanded on this Wednesday, claiming that "no collusion" with Russia was "proven today" following Manafort's second sentencing in Washington, DC.

That's incorrect.

Judge T.S. Ellis, who sentenced Manafort last week, pointed out that Manafort was "not before the court for anything having to do with colluding with the Russian government." This, clearly, is not the same as stating there was no collusion with the Russians; and the judge never made that claim. He never gave the Trump campaign a clean bill of health regarding collusion -- it simply wasn't a part of the case.

Like Ellis last week, Jackson made it clear on Wednesday that Manafort was never accused of colluding with Russia. She went onto clearly state -- for all to hear, inside the courtroom and elsewhere -- that the question of collusion was "not resolved" in this case, "one way or another," and was part of an ongoing investigation.

She also pushed back on Manafort's lawyers for making the "no collusion mantra," as she called it, a key part of their legal defense. "No collusion," she said, "is a non-sequitur." She chastised Manafort's lawyers for repeating this argument and suggested it was "for some other audience," perhaps Trump.

Manafort was convicted of eight counts of financial fraud and pleaded guilty to two more counts of conspiracy. In all, he was sentenced to 7.5 years in prison.

He is by far the highest profile defendant to face charges from special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation. And, his legal troubles aren't over -- minutes after he was sentenced in Washington, state charges against Manafort were announced by Manhattan's district attorney for a handful of crimes including alleged mortgage fraud, falsifying business records, and a number of other state felonies.

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    klintons are laughing their sorry azzes off...didn't get us >>>NANANNaaaa
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:

And what does that have to do with Manafort ?

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barzillia wrote:
    spasmcreek wrote:

Inconsistent application of the law.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    Barzillia wrote:
    spasmcreek wrote:

Not an actionable cause, if true.

They don't have to arrest everyone exceeding the speed limit in order to justifiably arrest you when you speed.

You need to get a better attorney.

edited November -1
    Barzillia wrote:
    Barzillia wrote:

Not an actionable cause, if true.

They don't have to arrest everyone exceeding the speed limit in order to justifiably arrest you when you speed.

You need to get a better attorney.
    You need to read for comprehension.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Manafort is probably a cheating liar, at least the courts seem to have convinced the juries of that.
    He deserves to serve time for his crimes BUT I don't think anyone could argue the fact that had he not served for President Trump he would never have been under the microscope and would never have been found guilty of anything just like most of the rest of his kind in Washington.

That being said if I were Trump I would pardon him for the sole reason that he was hooked in a fishing expedition that was based solely on a vendetta against Trump.

And IF Hillary and the rest of the DC vermin were all inspected top to bottom, charged and jailed it would at least remove the specter of Democrat vindictiveness.

What I really don't understand other than perhaps supposed higher morals is WHY the GOP never went after the others when they clearly had them by the gonads, if they thought it would open the door to investigations by the left they sure blew that opportunity!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    Manafort is probably a cheating liar, at least the courts seem to have convinced the juries of that.
    He deserves to serve time for his crimes BUT I don't think anyone could argue the fact that had he not served for President Trump he would never have been under the microscope and would never have been found guilty of anything just like most of the rest of his kind in Washington.

That being said if I were Trump I would pardon him for the sole reason that he was hooked in a fishing expedition that was based solely on a vendetta against Trump.

And IF Hillary and the rest of the DC vermin were all inspected top to bottom, charged and jailed it would at least remove the specter of Democrat vindictiveness.

What I really don't understand other than perhaps supposed higher morals is WHY the GOP never went after the others when they clearly had them by the gonads, if they thought it would open the door to investigations by the left they sure blew that opportunity!

Faulty premises, faulty conclusion.

edited November -1
    Barzillia wrote:
    mogley98 wrote:

Faulty premises, faulty conclusion.
    Is it that you need glasses?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain