In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just back from knee repair

BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
Just back from meniscus cleanup on Aisle1. More accurately, just back from my nap after.

Partial tear of MCL is healing and he wanted to wait until that was in better shape to do the meniscus. The before picture looked like a bit of a wind frayed flag but the after had nice clean lines. Hopefully that will get things back to normal or better than recent.

Slipped moving a lean to for the peacock a couple days ahead of the polar vortex. Taking the new structure out of the barn and having just gotten back to town, didn?t realize there was Zamboni grade ice under what looked like a half inch of snow. The initial fall wasn?t bad, I was flat on my back with feet aimed upwards. Then the lean to rained down, hit the right foot and twisted the lower leg 90 degrees to starboard.

Able to walk now, the doc wants me 4 more weeks in the brace (8 weeks in so far) to help the MCL tighten up more. I think there were cooties in the knee before the fall, so hoping to be better than recent. Probably back to traveling for work in 2 weeks.

Got the new blue press set up for running some 38 spl then want to set up another tool head to run some 9x19.

Please keep the interesting topics coming as I?ll be catching up for a few days!

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No lateral interior cartilage tears or tendon damage I hope???

Be selective when you play grab * with the nurses - or give pats on the fanny we have standards to be held up.

Mike
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Good luck to you. My son had what they call a bucket pail tear of his meniscus his soph year of high school during basketball.
    Granted he was younger than you :D , but he has no problem with it now, 8 years later.
    Just do what you are told and, don't do what your told not to do and you'll be fine.
    Happy healing.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Wow, glad you're on the mend! Ain't modern medicine great?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small world! I had a partial tear of the medial collateral ligament while playing soccer in college. For a "non contact" sport it gets pretty mean out there sometimes.

Ten weeks on crutches but I didn't need surgery.

Hang in there, buddy, sounds like you have a good doc I think it will turn out well.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 follow directions to the letter. After they gave me gel shots in my knee they sent me to a doctor to clean up my knee. I was happy that i was going to feel better.

The doctor walked in and looked at my x-ray that the nurse put on the wall and asked why i was here. I told him he was supposed to clean up my knees. He looked at me and said there is nothing there to clean up. He made a referal to another doctor to replace my knees.

Prayers for you and yours. Also follow the doctors orders.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tore up my right knee my sophomore year in the homecoming game. Then dislocated my left knee when I went off a rock ledge in the early 70's . Had operations on both before 1980 .

Went for a knee replacement several years ago. They gave me free of charge a Staph infection. I lived with that until the infection blew a hole in my knee about 3 inches long.

So out came the knee replacement and I went without a joint for 4 months before they implanted a new one. They failed to eradicate the infection so I am back living with it. My knee once again blew open about a year ago. They don't do a third implant so I am struggling and in a wheelchair. Next step is amputation. I am trying to keep the leg as long as I can as it still helps me with mobility during transfers. I am not sure how much longer I can hold off.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get good healing. Take your time and make sure the doctors, nurses, and you keep infections away.

Keith
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in for the better days.

Feel better...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips guys. Wife was the anti-Nike today she said Just don?t over do it. I?m pretty sure I?ll take it easier tomorrow, a little sore tonight. Walked to mailbox and fed the birds, stood cooking venison steaks. Now back in the chair with an ice bag.

Keith sorry to hear about the infections. One of the guys at our trap club was down for about 9 months with staph after a hip replacement about 15 years ago. He finally got the second one done in December. No issues on this one so far.

Have you thought of writing to Zimmer Biomet to see if they may have a solution for a possible third try? I worked at Biomet for a few years before they were purchased by Zimmer. They did some amaizing things for kids and returning vets. Given what you?re up against, it?s worth a try.

Thanks for the advice Barz on one chance for the best outcome. My head should be clearer tomorrow and I think I?ll be able to log on and catch up on some work it?ll keep me seated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mnrivrat48 wrote:
    Tore up my right knee my sophomore year in the homecoming game. Then dislocated my left knee when I went off a rock ledge in the early 70's . Had operations on both before 1980 .

Went for a knee replacement several years ago. They gave me free of charge a Staph infection. I lived with that until the infection blew a hole in my knee about 3 inches long.

So out came the knee replacement and I went without a joint for 4 months before they implanted a new one. They failed to eradicate the infection so I am back living with it. My knee once again blew open about a year ago. They don't do a third implant so I am struggling and in a wheelchair. Next step is amputation. I am trying to keep the leg as long as I can as it still helps me with mobility during transfers. I am not sure how much longer I can hold off.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get good healing. Take your time and make sure the doctors, nurses, and you keep infections away.

Keith

Damn, Keith that is a rough deal. Two bouts of TKR and both failed. Looks like amputation.

Well, hang in there, buddy, there are lots of amputees who are doing well in the world. What a tough deal for you.
    I fractured the femur in the knee, had emergency surgery, that failed, then 18 months later I had TKR. I came close to amputation, in fact, I was lucky the TKR worked out well for me.

Hang in there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mnrivrat48 wrote:

Keith

Damn, Keith that is a rough deal. Two bouts of TKR and both failed. Looks like amputation.

Well, hang in there, buddy, there are lots of amputees who are doing well in the world. What a tough deal for you.
    I fractured the femur in the knee, had emergency surgery, that failed, then 18 months later I had TKR. I came close to amputation, in fact, I was lucky the TKR worked out well for me.

Hang in there.

Do you have a case where you can sue?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my twenties I broke the right foot - cracked the shin - hyper extended the knee severely and popped some tendons - tore some ligaments and muscles (workplace injury)

Lateral interior cartilage tear...

I worked another 3 hours not realizing how bad it was - went home and took a bunch of aleive and some sleep stuff - all over the counter...

Used an ace bandage to wrap a bunch of frozen peas around the knee and leg and went to sleep

When I woke up I tried to get out of bed and the knee went out - I had an atomic flash of pain and blacked out - laying my head open on the bureau

Woke up covered in blood and could not use the leg

Called sick from work - called my primary care doctor who had an ambulance sent to pick me up

That carried me down 3 flights of stairs and I passed out again.

Woke up in the ambulance covered in sweat and in great pains.

The er doc cut my boot off - foot was so swollen the boot would not come off even unlaced

Not much fun and I don't recommend it.

Mike