In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Curse Of Oak Island TV Show

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
They have spent a fortune looking for something.

Who thinks something is there?

I think something is there but i do not know if it is worth what they are spending to get it.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree.

They have spent millions and the people before them spent millions of dollars and all they have to show are 6 dead people, a bunch of holes and a few trinkets.

I like the show though. All thats on TV today are these "reality TV" shows so its either this or old movies or reruns on metv.
    RLTW

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the show but I think what ever was there is long gone, and as for smiths cove, I read an article a guy wrote explaining the structure they just dug up and the supposed box drain, he claimed it was a illegal salt work from back in the 17-1800's, it sounded pretty covincing to me anyway. I never understood why a pirate would hide his treasure, they stole it and normally would just go blow it on rum and women, when it ran out go steal more or dig up your hidings and get drunk and have fun all over again........... I don't think any of them were planning for retirement ;)
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, they have made millions by getting the show aired on TV.

The same is true for Swamp People, Pawn Stars, Duck Dynasty, American Chopper, etc.

https://www.eonline.com/news/449357/inside-duck-dynasty-s-multimillion-dollar-fortune-duck-calls-t-shirts-a-cruise-and-1-4-million-per-season

:lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have watched a few episodes.

It is more of a soap opera than most of the reality shows, IMO.

Duck Dynasty was a reasonably well-scripted Sit-com during the early seasons, and became a boring assemblage of caricatures by time it was put to a merciful death.

The 'Real Gold Miners of the Yukon', and the 'Real Crab Fishermen of Dutch Harbor' still hold my interest to an extent. At least in these two shows there is actually something being accomplished, though other than the young kid, it does not appear that absent the television show a whole lot of money is being made.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have watched a few episodes.

It is more of a soap opera than most of the reality shows, IMO.

Duck Dynasty was a reasonably well-scripted Sit-com during the early seasons, and became a boring assemblage of caricatures by time it was put to a merciful death.

The 'Real Gold Miners of the Yukon', and the 'Real Crab Fishermen of Dutch Harbor' still hold my interest to an extent. At least in these two shows there is actually something being accomplished, though other than the young kid, it does not appear that absent the television show a whole lot of money is being made.
    Phil Robertson has some good ideas and are relevant to our current times.
    Phil comments on why a wall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9d1Wof7S4o&t=2s

Phil comments on the two types of people who do not have beards.
    https://www.facebook.com/InTheWoodsWithPhil/videos/1716793375054808/
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have watch a dozen or so shows
    my question what pirate or group would have dug hundreds of feet down ( had to be lots of water ) make so many booby traps and such a elaborate system and trouble to hide a treasure . I know they keep trying to drag in the knights Templar as a possible source
    I am sure they have recover there money + on the TV show but a lot of famous people in the past also donated money to be part of the find
    then and I am sure early on it was all out of pocket .

I see so many of the reality shows making million airs out of the host . look at OC choppers what the y were doing and where they are at , Gas monkey started on TV flipping 1000.00 to 10,000 dollar cars now has a empire going . I saw a show on pawn stars a few days ago going to Ricks ranch I would love to have but no way in this life the show has made them all million airs . Yes I watch on occasion :oops: but amazes me the following so many such shows have
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree, what pirate or even Knights Templar would go to such extremes.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanna buy some ocean front property in Arizona????? How about an ice cream cone at the north pole???? You would have better luck achieving these feats, then the bull hockey they are selling on this soap opera called Oak Island.:lol: This show is almost as bad as the Brown family circus in Alaska or Washington or California, or where ever they live this week.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watch it now and again, but not every week like at first. Personally I don't think there's anything there but a bunch of sinkholes and a few trinkets like you can find anywhere if you look hard enough.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Never heard of it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of it.

You haven't missed anything.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Agree, what pirate or even Knights Templar would go to such extremes."

I agree - But the follow up question is who would go to such extremes for nothing ?

I haven't watched TV for over two years and frankly don't miss it much. I get some catch up data from my computer at times.

Oak Island is interesting from the standpoint of who would go through that much trouble, and for what purpose. A mystery apparently yet to be solved ,or a solved mystery that is yet to be exposed. (and may never be)
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    I watched it for awhile,it intrigued me as it is meant to. But they lost my interest with all the build up,break away to commercials,and then waste 15 more minutes re-capping the whole show up to where they broke for the commercials. Heck with it,if and when they find the big pot,I'll read about it in the national enquirer. They're making more money by NOT finding the treasure.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read a long story about Oak Island when I was a kid, about 1962, lengthy story I think it was in Popular Mechanics.
    It was fascinating. Somebody went to a hell of a lot of trouble to hide something on that island. Whatever it was it had to be very valuable.

I hope that, some day, they discover the treasure.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to continue the discussion or maybe just me
    If I was to find a "treasure " or stash like many more I am sure have and will do keep my mouth shut and carry spent it over time on that may have happened to the treasure on oak island but as long as the pay roll from TV is rolling in its a treasure chest for the people involved
    it would be great to see them actually find a huge amount or some rare artifact

going back to my statement about keeping my mouth shut if finding a treasure in today's world it would be difficult if not in current currency and it may be counterfeit all transactions of any gold or silver or precious stones would require lots of ID and video recordings maybe even forms on how and why you have it and of course uncle IRS would be on anyone like stink on poop
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So bring in the army corps of engineers and surround the island with a casement wall and scoop the whole thing out layer by layer to be examined or sift screened or panned and scanned

For that matter don't we have ground penetrating radar and other scanners that can give us s decent view of what's down there...

The current cast I hope is getting pain and locking that treasure in a bank and not flushing it down the oak island toilet...

Something happened there sometime. We have the tech to figure it out but its expensive

I will admit to tuning in from time time to time but they will never find anything of value or merit

Mike
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as viewers keep watching they will keep "planting" artifacts.

Its called reality tv, not real life tv.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"