In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer guys, a question...

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I have a couple news sites I frequent and comment on various articles, the Fox News site and Oregon Live.
When I go to the site it shows me as signed in on their home page but when I click on and go to an article neither site lets me see the comments associated with the article nor do they show me as signed in so as to be able to comment. I've tried it from computers other than the one I regularly use (the one I'm on now) and it allows me to sign in and comment normally. It used to work just fine but a couple weeks ago started this new behavior. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and IE 11.
Any ideas as to what I need to do to correct this??
Thanks

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your cookies are turned off.

BTW, MS is about to drop all security support for Win 7. Your current bug may seem like small potatoes if you get hacked. May I politely suggest you upgrade to 10 or switch to Linux?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Rocky -

Win7 goes off support on Jan 20, 2020 so you still have time there. Win10 isn?t a bad jump. MS is trying to get more like Apple with ?smaller? Operating System updates getting pushed to you regularly along with some app changes to office and anti-virus.

Most sites should still work fine with Win7 though. It seems like you might have a cookie problem on the other sites, at least I?d suspect it. Maybe you should go in clear your cookies from your browser and sign back in and accept cookies when you do.

Or download the Google Chrome or Firefox browser - both free - and try it with one of those. Again be sure to accept cookies when you log in.
    edited November -1
    I was going to suggest Firefox, also, Bob. Thanks.

I am NOT an IT whiz, but some problems are simple to solve. With 'pooters, always try the simple things first.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    It could be that you have an outdated cookie stored in your cache. I recommend just clearing your history including cookies and retrying to see if that solves the problem.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    Those Thin Mints from last year will get ya every time, LOL!
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Especially when your fingers get sticky with the chocolate coating and it oozes into your keyboard. Talk about a cookie issue!
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first thing I would try is log out, shut down your browser then open a new browser and go to site and log in fresh.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Those Thin Mints from last year will get ya every time, LOL!

Thin mints from last year? They don't last that long in this house! ;)

Well, I tried deleting history, cookies, and all that stuff then re-logging on to everything and that didn't clear things up. I guess next I'll try using Chrome since it's already on the computer. Thanks for the input, folks.