In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Forming 6.5/06 Cases from 270 Cases

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a 6.5/06 in the works. I bought some once fired 270 brass here on GB. I already have a set of Hornady 6.5/06 dies. As I have never done this before what would be my procedure to form up 6.5 brass from 270 brass,? TIA for any input.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't form/size the brass until you have the barrel chambered. You'll need to "test fit" the reformed brass to assure proper fit.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    as above.............but basically you just full length resize the .270 case. you MAY have to neck turn the brass depending on your chamber/neck dimensions
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be aware that while the .270win is from the 30/06 family, the .270win has a longer case that the 30/06.
    .270win= 2.540" case
    30/06= 2.494" case
    Trimming may be needed depending on the chamber.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Ok, thanks guys. I'll wait until I have the rifle in hand before I do anything.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way.....you are going to love the 6.5/06.
    It' is a handloaders dream.
    About 2 and half gagzillion years ago, I had a Springfield action with a heavy 26" barrel with a twist rate for the long 6.5 bullets.
    Handloads were fun to work with.
    I loaded the bullets out to the lands for best accuracy.
    The longest range I had at that time was 475 yards.

On calm, windless days, the gun would hold 3" groups for 10 rounds.

Always wanted to try a 1000 yard range, but never had the chance with that gun. :(

I was into sub MOA guns at that time. :D
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Brass from different manufactures varies. I wouldn't tie yourself, into the stuff you pick-up from the auction. No matter how good a deal, you got on it. You want to do as little as possible to the 270 brass, i.e neck turning/reaming etc. If the brass from the auction requires this. Try other manufacturers brass.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up on the brass. The brass I bought is all Federal, but if it doesn't look like it's going to work well, I'll try a different brand. I see Graff and Sons has "Qual-Cart" 6.5/06 brass, but at $1.83/ea, well I'm way too chintzy for that!

I'm pretty excited about this project, as I have wanted a 6.5/06 for a long time. Just received the scope for it two days ago in the mail. It's a GB purchased Leupold VX III 3.5 X 10 X 40 AO.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horse Plains Drifter,

Everyone has made a good case for how to handle the .270 Win. necked down to make the 6.5-06 case. The warning about used brass should be taken to heart as Federal brass is notably soft and we don't know the dimensions of the original chamber in which this brass was fired. Because it's softer, it can also be a nuisance to resize cases from once fired brass. Getting a case stuck in your die will put a serious 'crimp' in your day. Take my word on this, it's from past experience. Personally, I would resell your brass and go with new brass.

This brings up another point which is touched on above. The .270 Win. brass is longer than the standard (even though it's a wildcat still) 6.5-06 chamber. You will have to cast the new chamber first to measure exactly what size it is, then trim the neck lengths back to fit the chamber. This will often allow for the creation of the 'dreaded doughnut' at the junction of the neck and shoulder as the brass forms. This is a nuisance facet which can raise pressures at the most inopportune time.

I have always started with 25-06 brass, created a fireforming load and set the OAL so that the bullet is just into the lands. This will hold the case back in the chamber, providing the best combination for forming the new cases accurately. As always, check the case lengths before working up your load. This process does away with any possibility of the doughnut and usually does way with case trimming. 25-06 brass is currently available and relatively inexpensive when purchased new.

Best.
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5-06 became popular after WWll with all the 6.5 bring back trophies like the 6.5 Jap, 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Carcano